Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Howie
Howie
England
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, GrandPaul
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by GrandPaul
GrandPaul
Fellows,

I have a titled 1968 BSA A65.

Title reads - AC17260A65F, year model reads - 1968

Frame stamping reads - AC17260 above, A65F below

Engine stamping reads - AC17260 A65F Raised pad has BSA logo embossings

According to everything I know, this bike SHOULD be a 1969 model. However, the LEGAL DOCUMENT attached to it says it's a 1968.

I thought I had a '69 with a '68 front wheel (clearly, the front brake has the rearward-exiting brake cable, and fluted knave plate).

I believe the bike is "dressed" as a Lightning, it has dual carbs, but the Firebird should have scrambler pipes, not road pipes (as this one does). I've been told it has the "wrong" gas tank, too...

What else can I see, outwardly, that would sort this bike, apart from the high likelihood that it is a "bitsa"?

What say those of you who know?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Attached Images
Liked Replies
by Allan G
Allan G
Your complete front end is 68 Paul, the 69/70 bikes were fitted with a triumph front end. I’d say it was a left over and parts getting used up but my friends original bike has the triumph legs and that was built November 68 for 69 model year.

Your current tank is unique 67 export tank. Yours should have the scalloped tank like off the B25/B44 for the 69/70 model years. Both side panels should be steel, the LHS one should be a 3/4 version with a third oddie stud hole. Yours may still have the bracket there to mount on the LH battery carrier mounting bolt.

Rear brake plate is OIF with that web on the torque arm mounting. But this isn’t a bad upgrade if it has the matching brake cam and fully floating shoes.

The points/alternator inspection covers didn’t arrive until 70, they should be plain (I can swap you if you want it to be correct)

You should also have folding riders footrests.

Seat looks original and to be honest it’s a very nice looking bike.
1 member likes this
by Ola
Ola
TR5Ray - The covers, yes, but not with the BSA logo. They came in 69.

Regards
1 member likes this
by Gary E
Gary E
To help you clarify a few other parts, the front fender and headlight are different than Firebird.
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com