Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Excalibur
Excalibur
New Zealand
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Thread Like Summary
Jon W. Whitley, Mike Quinn, Tribsauk
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#834532 12/26/2020 3:54 PM
by Mr Mike
Mr Mike
Last night I watched "An Officer and a Gentleman". Richard Gere and his Triumph brought me back to the days when I would have given my pinkie for a Triumph Twin. I was trying to get through college in the sixties and after a Harley Hummer, a Honda 90, and a brief introduction to a Triumph Cub, I then got a BSA 250. I got drafted and went to Officer Candidate School and had a Tactical Officer just about like Lou Gosssge in the film. I had to go 23 weeks in Army OCS rather than the Navy version of 13 weeks. Triumphs were always more pricey than their BSA counterparts. Well after 4 more BSA's and a Royal Enfield Interceptor, I never did own a Triumph Twin. Probably not a a lot different than my A65 Lightning, but still that image of a Triumph twin from the sixties is ever present in my head. With age creeping up on me I am relegated to an occasional ride on my BSA B50, now my only motorcycle. Having never owned a Triumph twin and turning down a 57 Corvette for $1200 are a couple of life's regrets..

Maybe the movie brought back similar memories for others.

Mr Mike
Liked Replies
#834534 Dec 26th a 04:07 PM
by reverb
reverb
...in USA there are Triumph a plenty and in different conditions so one way to "solve that sadness" is to buy a cheap bike to re build. Doing that by yourself without any celerity, would be good and when finished you do not even need to ride it if your body does not cooperate. Only starting it and then contemplating it in the living room or like that.
1 member likes this
#835087 Jan 1st a 02:17 PM
by reverb
reverb
...cannot beat the beautiness and subtle details in most Triumph.
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com