Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
North Carolina
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 84
NickL 71
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
kevin 23
Newest Members
bradders, tizianouk, Breeze, FORTYTWO, TomV
11,929 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
6 members (blueboat, Magnetoman, M.Gunderson, Bustednukel, htown70, DJinCA), 15 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, kevin
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#834428 12/25/2020 12:27 AM
by BAinLA
BAinLA
I'm sure there are threads aplenty but I can't seem to find any using "search". I know a few of you guys restore old O.I.F. machines and you surely must have a procedure for getting the nearly 1/2 century of accumulated sludge out of the oil "tank" area. I'm not stripping down the bike yet- that may come much later as funds and motivation improve. I just need to get it clean before I consider putting this machine into regular rat-bike service. Any proven methods to accomplish this? I'm talking about a bike with engine and everything else still attached. Much Thanks, -Brian
Liked Replies
#834442 Dec 25th a 01:22 AM
by L.A.B.
L.A.B.
Originally Posted by Irish Swede
I'd suggest using a petroleum-based industrial solvent, filling up the "tank" part of the frame, then draining it.

Do this two or three times, checking what comes out until it comes out clear, and that should do it.

Any small amount of solvent that is somehow still in there, being of a petroleum base, can mix with the new oil and won't be a problem.

((That's how I always cleaned out oil tanks.)

If the filter plate is removed (as periodically it should for filter cleaning) then the frame reservoir is an open tube with nowhere for sludge to accumulate and can be wiped clean if necessary.

I assume the OP does mean "sludge" and not scale deposits in the upper 'spine' section of the tube?
1 member likes this
#834438 Dec 25th a 01:14 AM
by gavin eisler
gavin eisler
A bottle brush and some parasene/ keraffin after a skoosh with a pressure washer will be fine.
To be really thorough fill with dilute citric acid then drain. After the skoosh brush treatment.
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com