Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
MikeJ
MikeJ
San Mateo, CA USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
11 members (KevRasen, desco, D.Bachtel, wilksville, John Harvey, Spitfire Ken, Magnetoman, triton thrasher, konon, M.Gunderson, Stuart Kirk), 44 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, Bob E
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#833906 12/20/2020 3:55 AM
by Bob E
Bob E
So I got another tach cable, the first one was junk, the part of the cable that went into the tach drive on engine was to small and kind of rounded and did not engage the drive coming off the engine, just spun in the drive. now the new cable where it goes into the drive on engine is to long by about 1//4 - 3/8 inch, can not get the nut started on adapter. can I cut the square drive off the extra length of the cable to make it work?
Liked Replies
#833989 Dec 20th a 11:39 PM
by Beach
Beach
Nothing against any vendors on here but the only place I order instrument cables is Vintage Cables in Canada.
2 members like this
#833941 Dec 20th a 04:28 PM
by Gary E
Gary E
As Allan said: >>>"Or is it possible that part of an old cable end has broken off into the spindle and blocking it?"<<<

Measure the depth of the engine tach drive hole with a nail or ice pick or whatever. Compare that depth to another machine. Someone on here likely can give you the measurement.
1 member likes this
#833932 Dec 20th a 03:42 PM
by LarryLebel
LarryLebel
I've tried to re-solder (or re-tin whatever the right term is) a frayed cable in the past. Although I probably didn't know what I was doing, it didn't work out very well (i.e. at all).
1 member likes this
#833997 Dec 21st a 03:08 AM
by PFribley
PFribley
Venhill is in Nashville.
1 member likes this
#833967 Dec 20th a 08:44 PM
by Allan G
Allan G
Try removing the inner cable and see how well/far the cable Pushes into the drive piece. Mark it off then measure the length inserted.
1 member likes this
#834005 Dec 21st a 07:41 AM
by Allan G
Allan G
Originally Posted by Beach
Nothing against any vendors on here but the only place I order instrument cables is Vintage Cables in Canada.
Agreed,

I find it’s cheaper in the long run to buy the best the first time around.

Also if your after a 100% correct restoration then these cables are exactly as they were done by Smiths
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com