Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Tridentman
Tridentman
New Jersey USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 80
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (JER.Hill, 76degree-triumph, quinten, MaaseyRacer), 26 guests, and 23 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, gavin eisler
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#833498 12/16/2020 8:42 AM
by Allan G
Allan G
Can anyone tell me the number for what is often referred to as loctite plastic gasket in the manuals or it’s modern replacement?

I’ve seen:

567 (low strength thread sealing)
565 controlled strength thread sealing

Or is there another I need to be looking at? Or is plastic gasket still available? The use of such in the manuals is around threaded areas
Liked Replies
#833565 Dec 17th a 01:01 AM
by L.A.B.
L.A.B.
Originally Posted by gavin eisler
Wellseal is like Shellac, I think it is shellac with some other stuff in it.

Pulverised Vinsol resin with some other stuff (Perchloroethylene, etc.) according to the data sheet:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulverized_Vinsol_resin
1 member likes this
#833595 Dec 17th a 09:46 AM
by L.A.B.
L.A.B.
Originally Posted by Allan G
I did follow the link, but certainly not worth the cost for something that might have dried in the pot. As they say it’s more of a talking point (probably better kept in the loctite museum)

Yes, it was only meant to be an example of the actual product, I wasn't suggesting that you buy it.

If I search the loctite website it shows nothing for the search of plastic gasket, just links to glues and resins that can be used to bond them. Though a google search did find something called loctite plastic gasket with quite a heavy price tag, in a modern bottle...

Loctite sealant technology does seem to have progressed since "Plastic Gasket No.68" was available.

... also so not something branded NV (I’m guessing by the lack of it being NVT, that must have been produced at some point in the 80’s after triumph closed its doors)

Before rather than "after" as Norton Villiers became Norton Villiers Triumph (NVT) in 1973 (and when they dropped the NV green globe logo) so couldn't really have been manufactured later than '73.

The 064208 Loctite Plastic Gasket pack was mentioned in a '73 Norton factory service release.

Wellseal still seems as good as anything else in my opinion.
1 member likes this
#833720 Dec 18th a 12:05 PM
by Al Eckstadt
Al Eckstadt
I don't think you'll be disappointed by Loctite 515 or 518. I worked at a tractor dealership. When separating the engine from transmission or the trans from the rear axle, 518 was required by the factory service manual. Anything less would allow flex which would break the seal and then oil on the floor. It's strong stuff yet it is not difficult to disassemble or clean off the surface. I use it on my bikes. You can use it alone or with a gasket.
Al
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com