Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
MikeJ
MikeJ
San Mateo, CA USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Thread Like Summary
Allan G
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#832612 12/08/2020 12:46 PM
by Kevin E
Kevin E
I am looking for recommendations for high quality silencers for my 1966 Lightning.

When I first re-built my Lightning in the late 80's I bought a pair of Armour silencers for it but when I got the bike on the road it just didn't seem right and always felt sluggish and underpowered. After a lot of tweeking & tuning nothing seemed to improve things and after talking to other classic bike enthusiasts I decided to try another pair of silencers. I can't remember which silencers I bought, I think I got them from Burton Bike bits and they may have been Toga silencers but I just can't remember. What I do remember is the difference it made. The bike came to life and performed the way I expected it to do in the first place.

Unfortunately those silencers have suffered from being stood unused for far too long and also bear some gravel rash which has turned rusty.

So I am in the market for a new pair and would like your advice and recommendations on what and where to buy, as long as it's not Armour.

The parts book quote 68-2732 for the UK models and 68-2733 for the US models. I don't know what the difference is as when you see photographs of the US bikes the silencers look the same as the UK bikes. If anyone could enlighten me on what the difference is it would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Kev E
Liked Replies
#832693 Dec 9th a 04:13 AM
by Mark Z
Mark Z
I have Armours on my A65 bitsa and I agree they are a bit too quiet and too restrictive. I've been able to tune my way around them, but I run VM32 Mikunis, a different ballgame. I've wanted to change them out for something else for a long time, but it's always at the bottom of my wish list.

I remember seeing/hearing BSAs with Togas and I thought they sounded nice, throaty but not too loud. As I understand it, those same silencers are now available under the name Brituro.

Emgos are too loud, period.
1 member likes this
#832823 Dec 10th a 01:38 PM
by Kevin E
Kevin E
Originally Posted by Allan G
Visit “classic bike shop” they were quite a big stockest for Brituro silencers who closed their doors earlier this year. As far as replica silencers go I have found them to be the best. Good power, nice exhaust note and decent chrome.

The armours ones I found to be too restrictive, so I soon moved them on.

Great news Allan, I rang Classic Bike Shop and have managed to get a pair of Brituro silencers from them for £170.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Kev E
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com