Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Myles Raymond
Myles Raymond
Glasgow, Scotland
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
6 members (Deadstiffcatt, Bob B, MikeG, quinten, triton thrasher, MarcB), 36 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
gavin eisler, Kevin E
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#832507 12/07/2020 9:56 AM
by Kevin E
Kevin E
I am thinking of putting Avon Roadrider Mk2 tyres on my 1966 A65 Lightning.

I've only ever ridden it before with K70's on, with the standard sizes of 3.25x19 front and 4.00x18 rear.

I have read lots of reviews on the Avon Roadrider Mk2 which, as usual, are full of contradictions. The majority are good but there are a few that claim they suffer from 'structural failure'?

I'm not planning on doing any knee down riding on my Lightning. As well as getting too old for it I know, from my past experiences on the bike, that the main stand and foot rests will hit the deck before my knees do and I wouldn't want to damage anything that I've spent a lot of time and money on restoring.

I'm sure there are must be plenty on here who have used this tyre and would appreciate any feedback you can give me.

Thank you,

Kev E
Liked Replies
#832509 Dec 7th a 11:02 AM
by gavin eisler
gavin eisler
Road Riders for me, used several sets, no failures, a rear last about 3,000 miles, fronts a lot longer.
I havent ridden a bike with K70s fitted since the 1970s so cant comment on A B comparisons. If someone offered me a ride on a bike with K70s now I would probably decline it, never liked them.maybe the rubber has changed over the years.
1 member likes this
#832508 Dec 7th a 10:55 AM
by Andy Higham
Andy Higham
I believe there was a problem with the tread splitting in a batch of Roadriders (Mk1) produced in 2013
1 member likes this
#832540 Dec 7th a 05:11 PM
by triton thrasher
triton thrasher
Originally Posted by gavin eisler
The trick to equalising wear on the rear is to accelerate hard out of corners, they dont last any longer but it stops them flattening quite so badly.YMMV

And if that makes you perform a highside, wear on the top and side of the bike will also equalise.
1 member likes this
#832848 Dec 10th a 07:04 PM
by Stuart
Stuart
Hi Kev,

Originally Posted by Kevin E
1966 A65 Lightning
standard sizes of 3.25x19 front and 4.00x18 rear
only ever ridden it before with K70's
thinking of putting Avon Roadrider Mk2 tyres
Firstly, you'll probably find the Roadriders to be good. Mind, I say "probably" because a motorcycle's a physical anachronism, only viable because of the human sat astride it; the rider keeps it viable based on a set of inputs interpreted by his/her brain; there just isn't any guarantee your brain will interpret every input the same as another human.

Originally Posted by Kevin E
considering the TT100 tyre but my only concern there is that they don't have the correct sizes that are standard fitment on the A65.
However, don't fall into the trap of thinking Roadriders are "the correct size" just because the ones you've looked at have the same numbers moulded on the sidewalls as K70's. Or that TT100's aren't "the correct size" just because you don't see ones with the same numbers moulded on the sidewalls as K70's.

Biggest problem with numbers moulded on sidewalls is they're "section widths" (and, by arcane calculation, "section heights"). How does "section width" relate to the real world? Buggered if I know, and I've been interested in the 'best' tyres for my old heaps for about forty years ...

To decide if your new 'best tyres' (Roadriders?) will actually fit your motorcycle, you need to look at "overall diameters" and "overall widths" - designers of our old heaps weren't generous with spare space around wheels.

When you look certainly on https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/tire-line/k70/ (click on "Explore" | click on "View Specs") and https://www.avontyres.com/en-gb/tyres/roadrider-mkii?cartype=motorcycle, you'll see K70's and Roadriders with same numbers moulded on the sidewalls are not actually the same real-world sizes at all ... particularly the widths. frown

When comparing, also bear in mind overall widths are based on the tyre mounted on the maker's recommended rim width for the tyre size, this will almost always be one width greater than the rims on your bike; in case you're wondering, the WM2 on the front of your bike is equivalent to 1.85, the WM3(?) on the rear of your bike is equivalent to 2.15.

Then even if, say, the 3.25 Roadrider will fit between your bike's fork legs, fatter tyres don't always make a better-handling bike - your bike is light and very low-powered compared to some of the 1980's Japanese bikes that also use V-rated tyres.

Finally here, whatever you fit, risking telling you something you know already, don't use the recommended tyre pressures in a '66 manual; modern tyres (and that applies to the K70 pressures) start at 28 psi/~2 bar front, 32 psi/~2.2/2.3 bar rear.

Hth.

Regards,
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com