Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

BLACK FRIDAY MEMBERSHIP OFFER 2021

50 % DISCOUNT ON ALL OPTIONS!!!

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership Life Membership

50 % DISCOUNT ON ALL OPTIONS!!!

New Sponsor post
The BLACK FRIDAY SALE is here!
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/23/21 5:29 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
umjwh
umjwh
Lowell, Ind
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 76
Rohan 74
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
Gus_Carrero, mogmike, Julian1966, BSACliff, Bezza Frank
11,920 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Magnetoman, Alex g), 16 guests, and 21 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, gavin eisler, joe czech, TR6Ray
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by joe czech
joe czech
I THINK IT'S A MESS! new and rookie BSA owner (66 Spitfire Mk2) - need help, guidance, and advice. probably some dumb questions but need some input, so please bear with me. just bought a 66 Spitfire. fairly original and a nice example for a 55 year old bike. at sometime in it's past, the handlebars were changed from (i'm assuming) the as delivered U.S. western bars to the UK/euro bars. that's really not an issue as i don't mind the lower bars. when this change was made, i'm thinking the clutch and throttle cables were not changed to a shorter length to compensate for the different handlebar geometry. to further complicate the throttle cables, the original GP carbs were switched out for a couple amal 932, again, no problem as i'd rather have the amal's for daily riding. the throttle cables come off the twist grip OVER THE TOP of the brake lever and don't appear to be routed correctly. i'm assuming this is from the lower bars. same applies with the clutch cable - appears to be too long and not routed correctly. not even sure i have the correct twist grip. finally, i have steel clutch/brake levers - thought i read Spitfires came with alloy assemblies. is this correct?

everything seems to function properly, and the bike runs fairly well. the overall handle bar/ control lever/ cable configuration is the main issue with the bike and i would like to bring it back to factory and period correct. in general, i think it's a mess. have ZERO experience with BSA's and digging into this, i'm getting into information overload. the parts manual is confusing the hell out of me. so, i figure i'll start with the CORRECT U.S. western handle bars and go from there. heed some input for parts and P/N's, correct cable routing, etc.. this is where i'll need you help and expertise. TIA....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Liked Replies
by Beach
Beach
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]These might help. This was my best attempt at correct routing.
Attached Images
2 members like this
by Gary E
Gary E
Looks like getting the taller 42-4968 bars and everything else will be good.
1 member likes this
by leon bee
leon bee
I've bought bars by just asking Randy Baxter for the closest thing they had to original, did pretty good.
1 member likes this
by Ignoramus
Ignoramus
Originally Posted by Mark Z
Originally Posted by Ignoramus
if you get bars like Beach has you will be factory correct for US export .....i only added the bit about the "droop yoke" and clip on cause hey were ok factory option for the Spit and cafe racer style ..........wasnt meaning it had anything to do with your bike ...hope no confusion

Allan above made a good point bout the measurements ................what ever they get called FULL westerns and SEMI westerns are NOT the same

U.S. market BSA bars had an 8-inch rise. U.S. market Triumph bars (late sixties) had a 5-inch rise. The Triumph bars (which I have on my A65 bitsa BTW) may be what were referred to as "semi-Western".

The BSA bars are also "swoopier" than the Triumph bars; i.e., the grips point downward instead of straight out to the sides. The bars in the picture from Baxter's look correct.

here is as close as i can fund to the full western look

https://www.trojanclassics.com/assets/full/BAR0099.jpg?20200707030809

the Semi westerns are more like this......not exact but best i can find

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/JaUAAOSwsypeutKS/s-l400.jpg

but yes what you say ......the full are droopier (good word)

its subtle but they are different
1 member likes this
by Beach
Beach
Thought the original question was how the cables should be run. First thing I'd do is correct the throttle cables. Under the brake lever.
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com