Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

BLACK FRIDAY MEMBERSHIP OFFER 2021

50 % DISCOUNT ON ALL OPTIONS!!!

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership Life Membership

50 % DISCOUNT ON ALL OPTIONS!!!

New Sponsor post
The BLACK FRIDAY SALE is here!
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/23/21 5:29 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
umjwh
umjwh
Lowell, Ind
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 76
Rohan 74
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
Gus_Carrero, mogmike, Julian1966, BSACliff, Bezza Frank
11,920 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (No Name Man, marinatlas), 17 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, The Bonneville Shop
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Lars Haglund
Lars Haglund
Hi,
I have rebuilt the clutch centre with new rubbers. I have made a tool with a 20mm Square tube attached to a steel plate. Used the tool for another engine about 15 years ago and could handle it myself with one hand and put the rubbers in with the other. This time I had to put another tube as an extension, about the same length as the Square one on the tool. Barely succeded to put the rubbers in the centre but only with an extra pair of hands.. Even bent the Square tube a bit. I tested with two different batches of the rubbers with the same result. Should I be worried?
Rgrds,
Lars
Liked Replies
by Phil in Germany
Phil in Germany
Hi Lars,

this is the scrap center I use for the rubber exchange.

[Linked Image from up.picr.de]

If you do not put the bigger rubbers in first, it is almost impossible.

[Linked Image from up.picr.de]

As Allan stated, usually the spider wears as well, but IME the steel parts last longer than the rubbers. The rubbers can be exchanged once or twice.

Again, good luck.

Cheers!

Ph.
1 member likes this
by Allan G
Allan G
The easiest way to put the rubbers in I’ve found is to:

Have a spare clutch steel plate, weld a bar to it

Have an old clutch centre (the bit that fits on the taper shaft)

Grind two flats on the centre so it can be held in a vice. Mount the Cush hub with one plate removed (if your using through bolts then put the bolts through and nuts on so the back is
Held on.

Drop one set of rubbers in. You’ll have more room for compressing if you put the large ones in first.

Slide the modified clutch plate over the Cush drive and pull the bar so that tension is applied the the rubbers. Then drop the small rubbers in place.

The unit will hold itself together enough so you can get the outer plate bolted into place.

If there’s any wear on those outer plates, either replace them or flatten them until all impressions have been removed..
However if you find that these are worn it’s been my
Experience to cut your losses and buy a complete centre. All the parts on these wear, so if something is worn then most likely everything else is too.
1 member likes this
by The Bonneville Shop
The Bonneville Shop
Allen G beat me to it...that is exactly how I was taught to replace the clutch rubbers.
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com