Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Jim Hultman
Jim Hultman
Minnesota, US
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, Beach, Gary E
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Lars Haglund
Lars Haglund
Hi,
I have to change the seat cover due to wear. I heard that it´s tricky. Hopefully you with experience can give me some help how to proceed...
Many thanks!
Lars
Liked Replies
by Mark Z
Mark Z
Lars, have you had a look at the foam yet?

Originally, these seats have a rubber strip that fits around the edge of the seat pan, under the cover. This is important to keep the cover from tearing on the edge of the pan. My rubber strip was whupped, dried out, stretched, wouldn't stay on. Also, the foam was history, crumbled. I received some pieces of thin foam, I think it was with the seat foam (which was from Andy Leighton), with instructions to glue the thin foam to the exposed part of the seat pan, leaving about 1/2" extra all the way around to fold around the edge to the inside.

If you do have to change the seat foam, you'll find it's essential to glue the foam to the seat pan before trying to put the cover on.

Ig, I like your idea about the plastic... but isn't a squab a young pigeon?
1 member likes this
by kommando
kommando
BSA did not use glue going by the seats I have dismantled, but that could be because its decayed over the years. I use cling film on the foam for reducing friction. I start first by using 2 or 3 prongs front and rear, but then switch to the prongs just forward of the hump to pull the cover down onto the foam before then starting on the prongs between the 4 points already fixed.
1 member likes this
by Lars Haglund
Lars Haglund
Hi,
New cover in place and I am satisfied with the result. I measured as much as I could before starting to put on the new cover and could not find anything that should give a problem. The only thing I did not notice was the part of the front. I measured the seam and it was exactly the same as the old one but after putting it on it was difficult to get the seams over the edge of the pan. The shape was not exactly as the old one, a bit wider at the top which means shorter down to each end of the seam. I managed but not with a big margin. I used the advices I got on this forum which helped me so Thanks everyone!
Rgrds,
Lars
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com