Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
JubeePrince
JubeePrince
Maryland, USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
11 members (Ken Rowark, Mirko, kevin, Tigernuts, John Harvey, desco, Robert Dentico, Stuart Kirk, Alex g, ducati2242, koncretekid), 34 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
GrandPaul, kevin
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by GrandPaul
GrandPaul
I came up with a "bucket list" (my spreadsheet is titled "Wish list") years ago; over the years I added to it, subtracted from it, then whittled it down to just bike-related stuff 'Top 10'.

My early list had bikes I always wanted to own, then somewhere along the line I gave up mainly because I've more or less stopped buying bikes unless an amazing deal falls in my lap.

I went back to my backup drive and dug out my old BIKE wish list-

'33 Triumph 6/1 (original Tri big twin)
'39 Tri 5T Speed Twin
'50 Tri 6T Thunderbird (Blackbird?)
'54 Tri T110 Tiger < HAD A '61, all original
'57 Triumph big twin (as old as me) < HAD A '56 T'Bird, as close as I got
'59 Tri T120 Bonneville (original) < HAD ONE!
'67 Tri T120TT Bonneville < HAVE A STANDARD '67, close as I got
'83 Tri TSS Bonneville 8-valve < HAD ONE!

'83 Tri TSX Bonnie

Kawasaki 350 Bighorn < HAD ONE!
Kawasaki 500 or 750 triple < HAD TWO 500s!

Ducati 900 SS
Yamaha V-Max
Britten V1000 (I can dream, can't I?)

Then, there is my "Top 10" Bike-related list-

1. Drag Race < Raced several events in Laredo in the mid-90s, scored a 1st place (Street Stock) on my KZ1000
2. Publish a bike-related book < Self-published "Old Bikes", sold several hundred copies to-date
3. Roadrace vintage bikes < Raced several seasons, scored a 2nd place finish at Willow Springs, and finished the season 5th out of 22 riders in the Production Heavyweight class in 2008, all on my scratch-built Bonneville (also got to race a Formula 500 Kawasaki triple, scored several 2nd & 3rd place finishes, finished 3rd in F500 championship)
4. Race at Daytona - Scored a best 4th place in 2008 on my Prod/Heavy Bonnie
5. Set a Land Speed record at Bonneville - Set my class record at the 2008 BUB Meet
6. Race Vintage MX - Scored a 2nd place finish against Dave Aldana on my Rickman Montesa in VMX Sportsman 250 class at the 2008 Sandia Classic
7. Build a custom bike - have built several including a Triton and my Dreer New Norton monoshock Prototype bike
8. Own 100 motorcycles - I've owned 171 to-date, had an all-time high of 55 bikes around 2007
9. Complete over 100 customs builds, scratch builds, and/or total restorations - Completed 135 to-date
10. Complete a "Saddlesore 1,000" ride (over 1,000 miles in under 24 hours) - To-date, I have only ridden 620 miles in 14 hours as my longest single-day ride

So, just item 10 on my "bucket list" to complete (I'm no longer pursuing the bikes I'd like to own)

Life's been good...
Liked Replies
by Richrd
Richrd
yeah, I could go for a piec.... never mind.
1 member likes this
by Ob1quixote R.I.P.
Ob1quixote R.I.P.
SaddleSore 1K is no problem for a street bike.

I failed twice, but made it tough by using the mileage of an organized adventure ride as part of the 1K miles.
Mechanical issues.

1st ride, my bike fell and the shifter went into a wet case cover. Youda thought JB Weld would be at every gas station in the middle of GA at 3am? Had to wait for Wallyworld to open at 7am, trip was over. Still got to 950+ miles...

2nd ride, buddy's bike almost threw the front sprocket. Lost all the engine oil, seal rides on a spacer on the shaft, nut securing sprocket backed off
He didnt bend over the tab washer when he installed gearing to match mine. We rode the same bikes, a DRZ400.

Not only did he not wreck it, he coasted into at gas station off I-16, oil dripping off the bike from the front sprocket back!
Got to 977 miles before time was up.

We discovered the leak by adding oil to see where it came from, in the parking lot! We did clean up after ourselves!
1 member likes this
by DavidP
DavidP
I got buckets for washing the car and mopping, but I only make lists of the parts I need to keep what I got on the road.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
I got lots of experiences. laughing
1 member likes this
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
By this point in our lives, for most of us anyway, we should all be pretty far down the line on stuff we've done versus stuff we ever wanted to do. It'd take much too long for me to tabulate all my wishes-come-true and/or the stuff I've done. Never had any sort of list. Suffice it to say I'm happy with my life, with who & what I am. At the end of it all, tho, we don't get to decide what our own legacy will be. That's somebody else's say.

Paul your legacy may be : "He did a lot of stuff and made a lot of lists" laughing

More seriously, glad you're enjoying life and are happy with your accomplishments. thumbsup
1 member likes this
by kevin
kevin
the older i get the more things interest me and the fewer i will have time to investigate.

my bucket list has a line item that reads simply

put all the pieces of your disassembled motorcycles in labelled boxes so your kids can make sense of what widgets go with what machine

. . . and label all the special tools so they can go with the appropriate machiens
1 member likes this
by DavidP
DavidP
I'm not nearly that organized. I just have general collections in separate boxes: "Trident parts," "BSA," "Clutch," etc.. I don't have that many specialty tools, it's up to my heirs to figure out which clutch hub puller fits the Trident and which fits the twins. And, what's that funny C clamp for? laughing
I do plan to be down to just the Bonnie and the Trident by the time my time is up.

I would really like to take a couple of laps round the mountain circuit, preferably on a Trident. But, the way things stand I might have to settle for whatever bike I can rent in the off season at the IOM.
1 member likes this
by Lannis
Lannis
Originally Posted by DavidP
I would really like to take a couple of laps round the mountain circuit, preferably on a Trident. But, the way things stand I might have to settle for whatever bike I can rent in the off season at the IOM.

That's a tough row to hoe. They don't rent bikes on the IOM (for reasons mentioned earlier, i.e. they all get thrown down the road by wannabe Racer Rabbits), and bike rentals on the mainland are few and expensive. And if you do manage to rent a bike in England, you have to book a ferry trip well in advance; a year in advance for either of the Race Weeks or times near them.

It takes good friends with boots on the ground to make it happen. For the first trip, the lads found me a nice bike, I sent the money, they sorted it all out, tagged it and had it ready to go for me ... I rode it over there for 3 weeks then they shipped it home and I'm still riding it. For the second trip, my son and I were offered the use of two MZ 250s, lovely well-equipped bikes, and we rode those during GP practice week. Each time, I got to get my head down and have a go at the course.

It's hard, but it's worth it. Oh yeah, it's worth it!

Lannis
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com