Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Jim Hultman
Jim Hultman
Minnesota, US
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Thread Like Summary
Gary E
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by jakejoseph
jakejoseph
I started to assemble the rear brake on my 1967 BSA A65L. This brake was a leftover from a 1966 - the backing plate is steel - not alloy.

I put the new brake shoes in, and assembled the hub. The brake drags a lot. You can see the high spot it's hitting in one of the attached pictures.

I think I have assembled correctly with the correct spacers. When you drop the brake in, it has plenty of room, but as soon as you tighten the circled nut, the brake locks up.

The brake shoes are brand new Ferodo 65-5940 part numbers. I noticed that the 67 part list indicates a 68-5940 instead.

Any suggestions as to what is causing the dragging? Have I assembled something wrong? Is there a problem with the brake shoes?
Attached Images
Liked Replies
by Mark Z
Mark Z
I had this problem with my A65, also with a steel backing plate, after installing new brake shoes. What it boiled down to was that the anchor strap did not have the correct bend in it and it was pulling the backing plate (or the brake shoe pivot) one way or the other. I had the anchor strap on and off for re-bending four or five times before I got it exactly right. It must lie absolutely flat and parallel against both the backing plate (with big washer) and the passenger peg lug, such that the strap is not pulled in either direction as it's tightened down.

I guess there was enough slop in the old brake shoes that it wasn't a problem. Also, I've found that the new brake shoes swell. First time out, when I thought I had the brake adjusted right, after a few miles on the road the brakes got hot and started dragging. I found I had to back off the adjuster more than where it was set with the old brake shoes.
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com