Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Boomer
Boomer
Orygone
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 84
NickL 69
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
kevin 23
Newest Members
bradders, tizianouk, Breeze, FORTYTWO, TomV
11,929 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (Magnetoman), 18 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Cyborg, Hugh Jörgen
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#831176 11/27/2020 6:15 AM
by Rohan
Rohan
OK, so I've always fancied a Fastback, and short of just outright buying one, adding more crowding in the garage,
I thought I'd just buy the cosmetics and build one onto an 850. Which isn't terribly authentic, but who will know !...

Anyone who has looked into this will know there are probably 50 vendors on fleabay, based mostly in India,
and you can buy several different varieties in any number of finishes - bare steel, painted and polished aluminium.
I opted for a plain steel variety with provision for badges , and postage costs included.
The prices vary all over the place too, and the pic of the bare steel one seems to be common across a number of vendors !

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/fB4AAOSwjDJdyVJF/s-l1600.jpg

So today it arrived - it had a tracking number - but the out for delivery hasn't been updated yet.
Looks good so far - quite thick steel, lightly greased so no trace of rust - and looks like it has been pressed.
Internally coated with some form of sealer/paint, seems quite tough.
Too early to say about leaks or fit, that will have to wait until I've degreased it.
Cost was very reasonable too, shop around ...
I'm impressed ... so far.
Liked Replies
#833732 Dec 18th a 02:10 PM
by L.A.B.
L.A.B.
Originally Posted by Cyborg
Yes the solid green globes were used right out of the gate. Not sure for how long.

The solid green spot (or, 'green blob') instruments were approximately '68-'70.
The rev counter in your photo is the approx. '69-'70 RSM 3003/12 with the red zone that the previous RSM 3003/10 didn't have.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-Smit...7688878?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

The green globe logo, approx. '71-'74.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
1 member likes this
#833900 Dec 20th a 02:16 AM
by Cyborg
Cyborg
Originally Posted by Hugh Jörgen
i figured there was no way around eventual corrosion, so I pre-emptively replaced them with brass.

Now they should only get slightly bruised on the way by..... not finished yet. Still have to add some sort of vent. Just used the old flange. Should get the flange and cap done to match. Guess I could polish the flange. Threads went well, knurling is shite, plus needs some cleaning.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]9B4FC228-693B-41CD-B034-ABC9E733B274 by First Last, on Flickr

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]2D81EF08-292D-483A-BDE6-0659C20669BB by First Last, on Flickr

Rohan, my tank is supposed to arrive Monday, but I expect customs will want to inspect it for a week or two. I’ll let you know about the quality when it arrives. Mine is not a Norton tank, but the guy makes them.
1 member likes this
#834053 Dec 21st a 07:03 PM
by Cyborg
Cyborg
Another reading comprehension/ brain fart episode. Rohan, I thought it was you that was interested in the quality of the tank.... as well as that fellow with the odd sense of humour. Anyway wouldn’t recommend the guy. We’ll see what if anything he’ll do. My toxic smelling liner isn’t that thick so may be something different. It doesn’t look all that great and likely have to do some welding, so the liner (assuming it is a liner and not just the same grey toxic smelling primer that is on the outside) is going to be removed.
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com