Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
MikeJ
MikeJ
San Mateo, CA USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
11 members (John Harvey, Spitfire Ken, Magnetoman, triton thrasher, konon, M.Gunderson, Stuart Kirk, Steve Highfield, Tridentman, AngloBike, Edalfa), 41 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Hugh Jörgen
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#830103 11/17/2020 12:49 PM
by Dingo3
Dingo3
Hello, I came across this SMITHS speedometer in a box of parts that came with a car I bought. It appears to be from a Vincent motorcycle but the number on the face (S.576) is missing the L or K at the end. So I’m not sure if the Vincent origin is correct. It measures 5 inches across.
Anything that I can find out about this gauge would be appreciated. Not trying to sell at this time, I think it’s cool and just want to know more about it.
I can’t load any photographs from my phone for some reason so I hope the number is enough.Thanks

Edit: Discovered that is indeed from a Black Shadow
Liked Replies
#830823 Nov 23rd a 09:53 PM
by Twin Pot Phil
Twin Pot Phil
I think the 5inch speedo (as such) was originally fitment to Jaguars, the Vincent variant (of the Jag guts) had a specially cast aluminium body.
An original Vin fitment had a right angle gearbox at the cable entry, the gearbox was retained by a screw into the speedo body (this is usually a giveaway for determination of 'OEM' versions.
The Auto Tempo versions did not use a gearbox and the drive cable connected straight to the speedo and did not look so 'for the job' as the originals.
I seem to vaguely remember something about the AT version only having one light (the originals had two), but that may just be old age playing me up!
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com