Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Tridentman
Tridentman
New Jersey USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 87
quinten 75
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
Daytona72, Kurtis Flying Tiger, Edalfa, SDiff, Chopperbabe
11,846 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
5 members (Norri Robertson, Gordon Gray, Magnetoman, BrizzoBrit, chaterlea25), 26 guests, and 68 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, Bikeosaurus, Hawk6351, kurt fischer, Noe
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#828434 10/31/2020 12:56 PM
by Hawk6351
Hawk6351
I have a 2008 Triumph America 865 (US version, so carbed not injected). I’ve dressed her up with old Bates hard bags from the 70s and I ride a ton, almost 10k miles this year, lots of that 2 up and highway. I’ve got some things in mind to up her horsepower and give her longer highway legs, namely doing an air box delete, straight pipes, carb re-jet, and changing my final drive sprockets to a 19 tooth front and 40 tooth rear.

I’ve been looking for options to continue that sort of thing, the older bikes here were big bore kits with new jugs and pistons and connecting rods And such, pretty affordable too, but I haven’t been finding anything like that for the newer bikes. Does anyone know if that sort of thing exists that would push me up over 1000cc?

Thanks in advance for any pointers!
Liked Replies
#828530 Nov 1st a 01:28 PM
by Allan G
Allan G
I think there’s two ways of saying that there is limited information available for new Triumphs on this site.

There’s a polite way, and the rude way which I’m sure if it was a face to face conversation the rude way wouldn’t happen.

We advertise ourselves as the britbike forum, last I checked modern Triumphs were Brit bikes (not like Royal Enfield which is Indian owned or BSA which is now owned by Mahindra). I’m not a fan of modern triumphs, but I’d never be impolite to someone that was, just for owning a modern Triumph.

If someone can answer their question, let them answer it... if they can’t.... don’t reply.
3 members like this
#828485 Nov 1st a 12:33 AM
by kevin
kevin
that was completely unnecessary.
2 members like this
#828461 Oct 31st a 08:44 PM
by htown
htown
Check the TriumphRat forum. They have several sections for newer bikes.
1 member likes this
#828572 Nov 1st a 09:26 PM
by kevin
kevin
Hawk6351, there's certainly is less knowledge about modern bikes here than over at triumphrat, to make one example.

most people here are quite friendly. you are welcome here as long as you find the conversation of interest to you.
1 member likes this
#828446 Oct 31st a 04:23 PM
by Adam M.
Adam M.
I believe with new bikes the cheapest way is to buy 1000 ccm bike in this case a Sprint model.
With old Triumph aftermarket parts were available because they were relatively easy to make, not so much with a new products from last 30 years.
1 member likes this
#828570 Nov 1st a 08:59 PM
by Dibnah
Dibnah
@ Hawk6351 This is a good opportunity to buy another Triumph, but with a bigger engine.

There are some magnificently grumpy contributors to this forum, long may it continue.
1 member likes this
#828615 Nov 2nd a 09:12 AM
by Andy Higham
Andy Higham
I would be very wary of removing the air box and fitting pod filters.
CV carbs are fussy buggers and designed to work with an air box. Most modern air boxes are pretty good, I would possibly look at how the air gets into the airbox, are there any silencing parts that can be removed, ribs that can be smoothed out, and a high flow air filter.

Usually fitting pod filters results in lots of dyno work and carb jets/needles/springs/modifications to end up with the same or less power than stock
1 member likes this
#828676 Nov 2nd a 10:15 PM
by Adam M.
Adam M.
+1 to above, CV carbs are design to work with right volume of air, installing pod filters + straight pipes will make a mixture too lean everywhere but on idle and max revs. You will need some dyno sessions to find out how to re-jet your carbs to male a bike operational. It was never a way to make a bike more powerful but noisier, you need mufflers to have proper low revs and a way to get to higher revs.
To make this engine developing more power you need bigger cylinder block, different cams and reworked cylinder head, and I never heard or read about those parts made for a Hinckley Triumph. They are certainly completely different from our old stuff being DOHC engines, so you can't adapt our "big block" to your engine. And Meriden Triumph big block is actually 750 ccm. smile.
1 member likes this
#828733 Nov 3rd a 07:27 AM
by NickL
NickL
https://www.triumphperformanceparts.com.au/904-big-bore-complete-engine-kit

https://bonnevilleperformance.com/product-category/buy-performance-products/page/2/

https://bellacorse.com/product/wiseco-big-bore-904/
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com