Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, Beach, Jon W. Whitley
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#827616 10/24/2020 10:24 AM
by Bry
Bry
I have a bit of corrosion inside the fuel tank of my Velocette MSS and am considering options for removal. I am not planning on lining the tank, unless I need to (e.g. if the rust removal process results in a leak) but hopefully this won't be the case as rigid frame Velo petrol tanks seem to be of a relatively heavy gauge of material and the rust is not excessive.

As I see it, after washing out with detergent and shaking with some abrasive media inside (e.g. plasterboard screws, length of chain, etc.) my options are a follows;

- Electrolysis
- Fill with acid (e.g. vinegar) then passivate with baking soda solution
- Use a commercially available proprietary environmentally safe water based product (e.g. Evapo-rust, Frost rust remover)

I'd be interested to hear of experiences people have had with these methods or advice on better alternatives.
Liked Replies
by Dick Page
Dick Page
I have used evapo-rust before on fuel tanks and was pleased with the results.
1 member likes this
by kommando
kommando
- Electrolysis

Works but messy

- Fill with acid (e.g. vinegar) then passivate with baking soda solution

Citric acid is my preference but vinegar would work. Phosphoric acid will leave a thin layer of dense Iron phosphate which acts like the aluminium oxide on aluminium, not sure if the baking soda would passivate this layer.

- Use a commercially available proprietary environmentally safe water based product (e.g. Evapo-rust, Frost rust remover)

Being a chemist at one time I just read the MSDS and buy the product by its chemical names at 50% of the price. Most rust removers are phosphoric acid based.
1 member likes this
by KC in S.B.
KC in S.B.
+ 1 Jon. Citric acid. Simple, works , cheap, won't kill you. I will add: auto parts sells rubber expanding freeze plugs that will fit the tank opening. Do be sure to make provision for removal!
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com