Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
GrandPaul
GrandPaul
Leander (Central) Texas, USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Thread Like Summary
Bob E, Nick H
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#827329 10/20/2020 11:29 PM
by S-NJ-W
S-NJ-W
It looks like the internal threads on my clutch basket are so damaged that I can't get the service tool (61-3766) to attach to the basket, so I can 'pop' it off the taper on the gearbox mainshaft.

If I loosen up the screws holding the gearbox cluster to the crankcases and use a brass hammer to tap the mainshaft backwards, will that work or is there something I would be damaging?

I can't see any other way to remove the clutch basket.

Thanks,
Steve.
Liked Replies
by S-NJ-W
S-NJ-W
Getting the clutch center (cush drive) off doesn't free up the clutch basket. The gearbox mainshaft is tapered and woodruff keyed to the carrier that forms the race for the many rollers that is the clutch basket bearing. Maybe I can do what you said with the gear puller and some made up jaws. Sheesh.
1 member likes this
by DMadigan
DMadigan
You could take a two jaw puller and grind the tip to fit around the hub behind the splines then use a screw (hose) clamp to keep it tight and pull it off that way.
1 member likes this
by S-NJ-W
S-NJ-W
The clutch is off, I still have all my fingers and nothing was broken in the process.
Remember - this thing hasn't turned over in 40 years.

One clutch friction plate was still stuck at the back of the clutch basket and try how I could, it wouldn't come out.
When the clutch basket was off, it had to be tapped off via the holes in the back.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

I made up two pieces of steel plate, interlinked them and attached them to the clutch 'spring' studs.
Got a puller around the plate and pushed on the gearbox mainshaft. The cush drive was rusted onto the splines
and frozen in place.

Winding the puller center bolt slowly pulled the cush drive off.

Once the primary drive and clutch were off, the tapered drive piece was left on the gearbox shaft.
Putting the puller on that, and winding it up real tight, then rapping the center bolt freed it up. It
shot about 5 feet across the garage with a 'crack'.

Nothing broken. No injury. It's all good. I hope this will help someone else.

Steve.
1 member likes this
by Mark Z
Mark Z
This seems like a good opportunity to get on the terminology bandwagon. It would be much easier to discuss this topic if we were to use consistent terminology instead of referring to parts as "that tapered thing" or "that splined thing", or using the terms "hub" and "centre" interchangeably.

So, I propose that we use the terms used in the "BSA Spares" factory manual. I'm using the 1966 manual for reference, and hoping they didn't change from year to year. So here we go:

- Part number 68-3275, which is the outer shell of what we often refer to as the "cush drive", is called "Clutch Centre".

- Part number 68-3277, the part which is a taper-fit on the tranny mainshaft and which supports the other parts, is called "Clutch Sleeve".
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com