Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
North Carolina
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, Bob E
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#827071 10/19/2020 4:43 AM
by Bob E
Bob E
what kind of job is it to install the tach drive in the rh side engine case? the more I get into this engine the less confidence I have in the job the guy did putting it together. finding a lot of things screwed up on the outside, hope internals are correct. anyway, I want to install the tach drive, do I have to take the case apart?
Liked Replies
#827445 Oct 21st a 11:39 PM
by NickL
NickL
Originally Posted by gavin eisler
Result,stay tach less , unless you regularly go past 60 in 2nd. its extra weight.

I need the tacho then...................
2 members like this
#827165 Oct 19th a 09:52 PM
by gavin eisler
gavin eisler
Tach drive bolts are 2BA, first try, use a small centre punch , make a small dimple near the perimeter, then try to drive the screw round to unscrew, this works most of the time. next try, if that fails , punch the dead centre and drill through with an 1/8 th drill, left hand drill if you can get one, then take a small torx bit and drive it into the hole, then unscrew.

As well as the spindle there are other sealing details, an O ring for the drive spindle, gasket , tab washer, and where the tach drive cable screws on another O ring to seal the cable. the cable should have a flat wire reinforcement and heat shroud at the lower end.
1 member likes this
#827341 Oct 21st a 12:15 AM
by Irish Swede
Irish Swede
GOOD WORK!

Patience brings rewards.
1 member likes this
#827349 Oct 21st a 01:05 AM
by gavin eisler
gavin eisler
Result,stay tach less , unless you regularly go past 60 in 2nd. its extra weight.
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com