Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
DavidP
DavidP
Crossville, TN
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 71
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
NickL 28
Newest Members
NRpolo, Ianc15, chuckhaz, Motorelic, Mrmoe
12,118 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
5 members (konon, L.A.B., PINEMONKEY, Larry Nelson, LarryLebel), 47 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,031
Posts769,175
Members12,118
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Thread Like Summary
laterdaze79, Morgan aka admin, slofut
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#826063 10/09/2020 5:42 PM
by laterdaze79
laterdaze79
Bike is a 78 T-140E with twin Amal Mk2s. So over the summer the bike was running fine, but my rocker box gaskets started leaking quite a bit, so I replaced them, set the valve clearances and re-assembled everything. Now the bike isn't running right. It pulls strong from a stop but as soon as you get up to speed at higher RPMs it misfires. I' tried re-synching the carbs which i've done before after owning the bike 10 years now, still getting the same issue. Plugs were new N4C and after I took my test ride they look lean. In neutral with the bike running if I rev it up it will miss and pop out the left side muffler. I re-checked my intake valve clearances and they were dead on. I haven't had a chance to check the exhaust valve clearances yet. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Liked Replies
#826114 Oct 10th a 09:55 AM
by laterdaze79
laterdaze79
Looked over my connections at the ignition coils and what do you know? Connector to the left ignition coil wasn't connected. I assume it got pulled loose when I removed the battery trickle charger leads from the battery or it rattled loose at some point. Thanks for the replies from you all, I appreciate it!

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Untitled by Joe, on Flickr
2 members like this
#826082 Oct 9th a 10:02 PM
by mondtster
mondtster
Do I understand correctly, that it was running fine before the service?

What all did you disturb when you were working on the engine? It sounds like you've double checked some of your work but maybe not all of it. The first thing I think I'd do at this point was put the old spark plugs back in that you removed during the service and see if it changes anything.
1 member likes this
#826099 Oct 10th a 03:05 AM
by Al Eckstadt
Al Eckstadt
Sounds like an issue I had that turned out to be loose wire connectors on the ignition coils. Others on the forum have had that happen also. Check all your ignition wire connections.
It ran fine until I got up to cruising speed (40-50) at which point engine vibration would cause the connector to "dance".
1 member likes this
#826101 Oct 10th a 03:36 AM
by desco
desco
My thoughts exactly. Something moved. As long as you are checking connections, clean them up and squirt a little dielectric grease into them.
1 member likes this
#826120 Oct 10th a 01:07 PM
by slofut
slofut
They have a saying over on the Honda forum ... ninety percent of carburetor issues are electrical grin beerchug
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com