Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, Beach, gavin eisler, Kevin E
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Kevin E
Kevin E
Hi all,

Can anyone explain the part numbers for the A65 Fork Sleeves for the 1968 - 1970 models.

In the 1968 BSA parts book they are listed as 97-2543 & 97-2544 for the Firebird only. There is also 97-2510 & 97-2512 for the Lightning, Spitfire, Thunderbolt and Royal Star.

In the 1969 and 1970 BSA parts books they only list 97-2510 & 97-2512 for the Lightning, Thunderbolt, Royal Star and Firebird?

What is the difference between the two sets of sleeves?

My bike is a 1966 model and has two different types of sleeve on either side. One is the earlier type and the other is the later type which has a more pronounced 90 degree lip on the bottom end, eliminating the need for the top gaiter strap.

I have attached a photo of mine to show this difference.

Burton Bike Bits have just notified me that they have the 97-2543 & 97-2544 back in stock. Are they the correct chrome items like the one on the right of my photo?

Thanks, Kev E
Attached Images
Liked Replies
by Allan G
Allan G
Originally Posted by Kevin E
I agree Allan G, and I only mentioned the trophy in context with subject of chrome that was being discussed.

You can mention trophies as much as you like but I was just aiming to steer it back to topic before it becomes political, sadly some topics everyone has an opinion on.
2 members like this
by Gary E
Gary E
In '68 it's all about the finish. Black and chrome. The Spares Manual has typos in it. Spitfire and Firebird got the chrome fork sleeves, and Royal Star, Thunderbolt, and Lightning got the black ones.
1 member likes this
by Mark Z
Mark Z
Kevin, I'm with you on the "doesn't have to be original" principle (obviously, since my one-and-only is a '65-'66-'67-'70 A65 bitsa with a '71 oil pump, Mikuni carbs, Tympanium rec/reg, Boyer ignition, single dual-lead coil, sealed beam headlamp, all modern switches and wiring, and, the most recent addition, a GPS speedometer).

I have a mantle full of trophies from my '67 Lightning, which was all original except for chromed engine covers. Now the trophies are merely dust-collectors, while my bitsa gets me where I want to go reliably. I do like to keep things looking "factory" as much as possible though, and I LOVE stainless steel.
1 member likes this
by Kevin E
Kevin E
Originally Posted by Gary E
>>>...The bike even won a best chrome cup at a show back in the 90’s....<<<

With stainless steel.

Chrome headlight shell, chrome fork sleeves, chrome & flamboyant red petrol tank, chrome rear brake plate, chrome chain guard, chrome wheel rims. Should I have refused the trophy because all the other shiny bits were stainless?
1 member likes this
by Mark Z
Mark Z
Originally Posted by Allan G
Originally Posted by kevin
lol

thats why we're here, allan

Not quite what I meant Kev, but never mind. Moving swiftly on....

And I for one would like to hear an acknowledgment that your query was resolved Kevin, if indeed it was.
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com