Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
maylar
maylar
Connecticut
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 68
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
NickL 30
quinten 28
Newest Members
FERRARTIS GROUP LD, Okp, Stevie B, EmmBeeDee, dresda
12,125 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
7 members (Al Navecky Jr, hardarser, pushrod tom, JDH, Tom A65LR, Dave Comeau, konon), 27 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,065
Posts769,652
Members12,125
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, Beach, Bob E, Kev Ev, wbabojo
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#824353 09/21/2020 2:02 PM
by Kev Ev
Kev Ev
Hi guys,

Could any one please tell me the dimensions of the 68-4095 rear brake adjuster post.

I believe that the threaded part is 5/16" U.N.F. and that the parts book has mistakenly listed the nut that fastens to it as 3/16" B.S.C. This nut has the BSA part number 02-0049 and a google search for that part brings it up as a 5/16" 26TPI nut.

Anyway what I would like to know is the overall length of the adjuster post, the length of the threaded section and confirmation of its diameter and the outside diameter of the plain section, which has the flat machined on it for the 1/4" B.S.C. pedal stop adjuster nut.

If you can also give me the dimension from the outside end of the plain section to the centre of the 1/4" B.S.C. tapped hole that would be good but if not I can mark that out once I have the post made and fitted in the frame.

Thank you,

Kev E
Liked Replies
by Beach
Beach
Why not buy one? Fairly common and cheap enough, even oem ones.
1 member likes this
by Allan G
Allan G
I wasn’t specifically giving you the links because I was being flippant either, you never said you were intending to make a stainless copy. I thought the images might be helpful also.

I also have limited time but try to help others where I can (if I can)

The other alternative is, you find an original part, buy it and then use it as a pattern to make one or Several for yourself.
1 member likes this
by Allan G
Allan G
Hi Kevin, I think the 3/16" nut might be the actual adjuster screw, the thread size is about 3/16 (although I thought it was BSF which is same as 2BA) the screw is a grub screw with a slotted end. I find the standard one is too short for my liking. I've since changed the brake switch setup to the OIF style switch, the rubber part doesn't last as long but the light actually stays from the moment you start to apply the brake, I thought the original method was poor in this respect and the light often went off again when the brake was applied.
1 member likes this
by Kev Ev
Kev Ev
0BA = 0.2362" Diameter, 0.1890" Core, 0.0394" Pitch, 25.38 T.P.I.

1BA = 0.2087" Diameter, 0.1663" Core, 0.0354" Pitch, 28.25 T.P.I.

2BA = 0.1850" Diameter, 0.1468" Core, 0.0319" Pitch, 31.35 T.P.I.

3BA = 0.1614" Diameter, 0.1270" Core, 0.0287" Pitch, 34.84 T.P.I.

4BA = 0.1417" Diameter, 0.1105" Core, 0.0260" Pitch, 38.46 T.P.I.
1 member likes this
by Kev Ev
Kev Ev
Hi all,

I got the brake adjuster post from Draganfly and here are the dimensional details.

Hope it may be of some help to others.

Kevin E
Attached Images
1 member likes this
by Kev Ev
Kev Ev
Originally Posted by Beach
Why not buy one? Fairly common and cheap enough, even oem ones.

Because: -

A. I want to make my own from stainless steel and I can't find anyone selling one in stainless.

B. I'm not averse to spending money on my bike. My bottom end (which already had the timing side conversion) is currently with SRM undergoing just short of £2K's worth of work. I am however averse to buying parts, which are often of poor quality and don't fit. Unfortunately I've had a few of those from Draganfly Allan G and I'm reluctant to use them after a couple of bad experiences.

C. I was hoping that I would be able to get the information I want, in order to make my own, from like minded and helpful enthusiasts. This, on the whole, has been my experience on these kind of forums. Rather than flippant comments.

D. If I can't get the dimensions then I will try to find one to buy from a reputable source and copy it, if it fits ok.

I hope that answers your question and that someone can answer mine.
1 member likes this
by Kev Ev
Kev Ev
beach, I meant no offence buddy. My use of the word flippant probably wasn’t the most appropriate and I apologise if it was taken out of context.

Text is not the best way to get the right mood across and believe me I am very grateful for your help in my other post.

Take care of yourself and I hope to get the chance to help others in the same way they’ve helped me with my bike.

Thanks to all who have provided information.

Best regards,

Kev E
1 member likes this
by Kev Ev
Kev Ev
First stage of the stainless steel adjuster post for my bike. I'm going to polish it before I mill the flat on it and then wait until I have the rear brake pedal, stop light switch and associated parts in position, so that I can check the position of the adjuster screw hole before I drill and tap it.
Attached Images
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com