Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, MarksterTT
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#820582 08/19/2020 11:32 PM
by Hugh Jörgen
Hugh Jörgen
Putting the rear wheel for the 70 Bonneville back together and just pulled the new security bolts out of the package.
(Some PO had removed them)
The only comparison I have is the 67 Bonneville.
Those bolts have a thick rubber washer under the washer which is under the hex nut.

The new bolt has no rubber washer, and it doesn't seem right to grind the washer down onto the rim, as it comes in contact with the adjacent rim dimples.

The parts books for both show 3 unidentified objects as forming the attachment for the security shoe.

Is the rubber washer something a PO has added?
If the rubber washer is standard, anybody happen to have a P/N?

Cheers
Liked Replies
#820744 Aug 21st a 10:29 AM
by RF Whatley
RF Whatley
The original washers were leather.

Rim Locks are no longer needed. They come from an age when people (real men) regularly rode these bikes off-road. If you're running modern tires fully inflated, and never leave the pavement, then you will never need Rim Locks.
1 member likes this
#820752 Aug 21st a 01:04 PM
by Mark Z
Mark Z
Originally Posted by RF Whatley
The original washers were leather.

Now that you mention it, I guess they were. I had assumed they were rubber with fiber, like the automotive hose.

Originally Posted by RF Whatley
Rim Locks are no longer needed. They come from an age when people (real men) regularly rode these bikes off-road. If you're running modern tires fully inflated, and never leave the pavement, then you will never need Rim Locks.

Did you weigh in on the debate in the other thread on this topic? I'm generally of the same opinion as you, and I shed my rim locks years ago, but after the one testimonial about a deflated tire coming off the rim, I decided to just clam up about it.
1 member likes this
#820666 Aug 20th a 05:25 PM
by Mark Z
Mark Z
My '67 A65L originally had those one-side-concave rubber washers, which deteriorated to the point that they needed replacement. I made my replacements out of double-walled automotive fuel hose. Resilient stuff because it has fibers in it, doesn't spread when you tighten down the nut.
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com