Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
D.Bachtel
D.Bachtel
SLO County, CA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Thread Like Summary
Gary E, hacksaw, KevinB
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by KevinB
KevinB
I've got a 1968 A65 ("Y" model, so 1967 serial "A65SA") that I'm restoring and would like to have a look at the seals in the fork tubes. I purchased a tool (61-3005) that doesn't seem to fit because it's too big to reach the bottom of the seal holder and the tangs won't engage (most tools are advertised as "up to 1967" and one site notes: "We have found that (new) chrome fork seal holders on the market seem to have a smaller I.D. - if you use this tool you will have to remove some material on the bottom in order for it to fit.". No, not doing that!!). After looking at older posts here I'm fabricating my own tool out of 1 1/4" pipe. I bought the bike in 1968 (yes, original owner but haven' t ridden it in 30 years) and the seals have never been opened so: any tips on freeing them if they're tightly stuck? Thanks in advance.
Liked Replies
by BSA_WM20
BSA_WM20
I find it works a lot better upside down ( drain the tube first )
put the tool on the floor
Put the fork leg on the tool
Put a long bar through the axle hole
Press down while turnig the fork leg
1 member likes this
by Gary E
Gary E
Originally Posted by leon bee
^^^What Mark said. I've had them that were a real b*tch, too!

Likewise. And the use of anything but the proper tool most of the time resulted in ruined or damaged seal holders.
1 member likes this
by Irish Swede
Irish Swede
You have to see if any water has gotten into the forks.

Cracked or torn rubber fork gaiters are usually the cause of this.
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com