Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

BLACK FRIDAY MEMBERSHIP OFFER 2021

50 % DISCOUNT ON ALL OPTIONS!!!

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership Life Membership

50 % DISCOUNT ON ALL OPTIONS!!!

New Sponsor post
The BLACK FRIDAY SALE is here!
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/23/21 5:29 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
umjwh
umjwh
Lowell, Ind
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 74
NickL 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
Gus_Carrero, mogmike, Julian1966, BSACliff, Bezza Frank
11,920 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (R Moulding, NYBSAGUY, Ben P, Doug P), 21 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
PEH
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#817608 07/27/2020 8:12 AM
by PEH
PEH
Im trying to fit the clutch to an A65, The primary chain is to short to allow the whole assembly to to go onto there relative shafts, I have an 80 link Reynolds chain, 58t clutch and a 28t drive sprocket, no adjuster fitted as yet, I have built several A65's and Triumph's and have not come across this problem before. I have heard that Reynolds chain is not what it was, anyone else come across this problem?
Liked Replies
#817610 Jul 27th a 08:54 AM
by gavin eisler
gavin eisler
I havent had this problem, but have read here about unit singles having similar issues.
I suggest washing the factory lube off the chain with your solvent of choice, try again, it may win you enough to allow fitting, if that doesnt work ,I dunno, last time I fitted a new chain it went on with no probs.
Your numbers are all good.
1 member likes this
#817618 Jul 27th a 11:47 AM
by Nick H
Nick H
Had the same problem. Had a machinist take a tenth of an inch of the sprocket.
1 member likes this
#817622 Jul 27th a 12:08 PM
by Allan G
Allan G
Originally Posted by PEH
I have managed to get it on chaps. By building the clutch one piece at a time, i have usually managed to get them on with the clutch built up, (except the plates). i now seem to have an alignment problem, the drive sprocket teeth are 1/8 of an inch in front of the clutch basket teeth, Is there an alternative width drive sprocket?

Hornets or ET models are different but not for the reason your wanting. The best solution would be to machine 0.125" off the oil seal sleeve. Its more common that the drive sprocket needs shimming to bring the alignment correct with the clutch but possible some that some aftermarket parts are not made correctly. You would also have been best assembling the clutch basket to the main shaft and the drive sprocket to the crank, tighten the nuts so everything sits flush and use a straight edge agains the outer row of teeth to find the true offset.
1 member likes this
#817649 Jul 27th a 03:39 PM
by Servodyne
Servodyne
Ground spacer first, which goes into the oil seal, then a shim as required, then the sprocket with the offset facing outwards.
1 member likes this
#817629 Jul 27th a 01:08 PM
by Servodyne
Servodyne
Are you sure you haven't tried to fit a Triumph clutch basket in stead of a BSA one? There's about 1/8" difference in the position of the teeth, otherwise they are the same..

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
The BSA one is Dished
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
The Triumph T140 is flat
1 member likes this
#817623 Jul 27th a 12:28 PM
by gavin eisler
gavin eisler
Are you sure the engine sprocket is on the right way round?
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com