Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Denis J
Denis J
Sacramento, CA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Thread Like Summary
Tigernuts
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#813302 06/20/2020 5:40 PM
by Bob Fletcher
Bob Fletcher
I've been looking at the Hot Links forum, looks to me like selling prices of nice classic Triumphs are not what they used to be. In 1998 I saw a excellent restored 67 TR6c go for $10,000 at a BSA club sale/swap meet in Santa Jose. I thought that was going to continue on. I build Triumphs for the pleasure of bringing back a beautiful machine from just a pile of parts, but, I was hoping my labor would net $5 bucks per hour! After doing the math it looks more like $3 bucks per hour now.
Liked Replies
#813434 Jun 21st a 05:10 PM
by reverb
reverb
I am not turning this to Japanese vs British motorcycles but regarding quality of materials and aesthetics the Japanese bikes of the 70s were crude. Check a mudguard; check the details; (the tanks shapes; the finishes; the brackets) of course the engine technology was newer...however; a Japanese 2 valve bike was not faster.
Also if you compare (I am a designer) a Norton engine to a Triumph engine. Norton s look old and crude.

I like the aesthetic, the vibe; the style and that are the originals not the copies. Also I put 10000km last year in my 79 at 120-130km/h CRUISING speed. How much speed do you need for a naked to commute?
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com