Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
robcurrie
robcurrie
Irene, South Africa
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Thread Like Summary
Gordon Gray
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#812009 06/09/2020 6:51 PM
by Mike Baker
Mike Baker
Just starting to reassemble the race motor that had an unhappy ending. With all that happened, I thought it a good idea to replace the mains.
This motor is a 71 code EE. The bearing I took out from the left drive side was a C3 condition. Last night, I heated the case, got the old race out, dropped the new CN bearing into the race and left it all to cool. This morning, I found that the bearing will spin in the race, however, it will not come out of the race as every other bearing I've had will. Too tight.
What is the proper bearing for this particular motor? And possible consequences of running it?

Thanks
Liked Replies
#812104 Jun 10th a 03:43 PM
by Mike Baker
Mike Baker
I'm pretty sure that a CN was spec'd for these motors. The race is shrunk into the case.
Even though I did not keep record of it, the fact that I removed a C3 (that I installed previously) tells me that I came up against this issue 4 years ago when I initially built this motor. It must have worked well as it was one of the mechanically quietest motors I've had. The old race shows a bit of wear where the rollers ran though nothing I can feel with fingers. I'm going to have it measured to satisfy curiosity.
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com