Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
GrandPaul
GrandPaul
Leander (Central) Texas, USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 87
quinten 75
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
Daytona72, Kurtis Flying Tiger, Edalfa, SDiff, Chopperbabe
11,846 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
6 members (stevesahed, robcurrie, R Moulding, Jon W. Whitley, Magnetoman, Adam M.), 34 guests, and 62 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Gary E, rkinkade
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#809032 05/15/2020 5:57 PM
by rkinkade
rkinkade
To whom might be able to give guidance. I am thinking of selling my bike that I restored many years ago. The original title and current title state that it is a 1968 year model. All the parts on the bike at the time of restoration were/are 1966 components - tail light, side covers, basically everything about the bike. The engine cases where replaced many years ago and have no serial number on them. Someone in the past had stated that it was not uncommon for BSA to sell left over units as "newer" year models. Could this have been the case? All I have to go by is the frame # A50C4115. Any feedback would be greatly appreciatated. Thanks in advance.

Rhett Kinkade
Liked Replies
by Shane in Oz
Shane in Oz
The BSA Owners Club in the UK has a copy of the factory despatch records, and will provide a dating certificate for a modest fee.

The VMCC in the UK also has a copy of the factory records. Members can have the library search for the records of 2 machines free each year. Unfortunately, their operations are very severely curtailed at present.

The BSAOC and Britbike also have online summaries of engine and frame numbers by year. This is enough to get into the right general area, which is enough for most of us most of the time.

As Rich noted above, A50C frame numbers were only used for the 1966 model year. Early 1966 frames were stamped A50C, but later in the season BSA switched to matching engine and frame numbers.
1 member likes this
by quinten
quinten
Originally Posted by Shane in Oz
That's interesting info, Andy.

Were there any A65s with A50C frame numbers that late, or just the A50s?

There is scope for endless distraction in those dispatch records.

i read some where , probably right here on BritBike
that #3217 is the first matching number 650 recorded in the dispatch books .
( still searching for the quote )
does the first matching mean the last non matching ? ... i would think so , but you never know

1966 was very messy year for BSA .
4000 twins were shipped from the US , back the the UK ... to have various problems remedied .
1 member likes this
by TR6Ray
TR6Ray
Originally Posted by quinten
. . . i read some where , probably right here on BritBike
that #3217 is the first matching number 650 recorded in the dispatch books .
( still searching for the quote ) . . .

Originally Posted by Gary E
. . . frame and engine numbers were not the same identical stamping until #3217, November 1965 for the '66 model year (based on factory production book research). Prior to that, the frame number is different than the engine number, but a "matching number machine" would have the correct specific numbers for each, as they came off the production line . . .
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com