Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Geoff Patrick
Geoff Patrick
Southern California
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Thread Like Summary
KevRasen
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by linker48x
linker48x
I'm a newcomer to BSAs, and I need some advice. I have just finished my 68 Spitfire and I am encountering a lack of cornering clearance, and I am guessing that more experienced BSA folks know exactly what to do.

This may just be a design issue. Measuring, the tips of the mufflers are 3 inches lower than on my stock 70 Bonneville, and the pegs are an inch lower. The pegs don't bother me so much, since they are folding. But the mufflers do (touching down mufflers is not conducive to my continued health).

Do I need to fabricate new shorter brackets? Or pull the pipes in some more (they are pretty close to the passenger peg loops already so not much to gain there). Or is there some other part I don't know about yet? If it helps, I have a 4.00 Avon AM26 on the back, a 3.50 on the front (neither one particularly short sidewalled), and I have increased rear preload to the top (sort of disappointed to see these are already 13.4 inch shocks, no easy gain there), and I haven't done anything to the fork preload yet. I do have a set of 14 1/2 inch Works Performance shocks off a race bike, and there are up pipes for these, but I would prefer to leave this stock looking.
Liked Replies
by Ignoramus
Ignoramus
ok so no one has been sufficently forthright (or rude) to ask the OP if he is excessively fat .........i mean really fat .........better believe that will make a difference to clearance
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com