Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Photos on private message
by Mal Marsden - 06/16/22 7:00 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Ian Ashdown
Ian Ashdown
SoCal
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
reverb 80
Allan G 54
kevin 52
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 32
gunner 27
Newest Members
budpotter, Mark Sharp, Ian Scotland UK, cherbini, grahamsmythe
12,158 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
9 members (DAMadd, NickL, Steve Erickson, koncretekid, hardarser, Rohan, gavin eisler, Magnetoman, Hugh Jörgen), 23 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,301
Posts772,513
Members12,158
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Thread Like Summary
Hugh Jörgen, Jon W. Whitley, Nick H
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#808417 05/10/2020 7:04 AM
by R Moulding
R Moulding
I've been a car nut from a young age, it's why I got into the motor trade. One advantage of this is that i have had the chance to drive many of the cars I thought were cool as a kid, from muscle cars and Hot Rods to early 911 Turbo's along with newer stuff that I'm supposed to think are cool, Japanese stuff with ridiculous Turbo lag etc.

For the most part I've been left horribly disappointed with nothing really living up to the boyhood expectations. That is apart from two cars. The first was an E type that came in because it kept jumping out of second, I pulled the motor and box and modified the selector to give second gear a detent ball and plunger. Then a road test along a stretch of duel carriage way was called for. Wow, that car had legs like you wouldn't believe, it never felt as if it wanted to change gear you just had to watch for the red line!

The second was earlier this week. I've seen this car every six months for eight years, the owner pulls it from it's barn and brings it down for a WOF test then parks it back in the barn for 6 months. I've never yet had a viable excuse to drive it. It's an M series BMW 635CSI and it's bone stock and mint.

This time it failed it's inspection on a binding rear brake, my chance had finally come, the barn had taken it's tole and I would have to take for a spin to see if the brake free'd up before I thought about tearing apart. Into the black leather bucket seat I jumped and turned the key. It fired right up on four cylinders lumbering and spluttering trying to keep itself alive, I raised the revs a touch above idle and held it a second or two..........five cylinders then six cylinders found their feet, the exhaust note changed into a rasp and I snuck out of the yard trying not to give the game away. Right at the roundabout outside work and I waited till she was straight before planting my foot. 4 grand in second those M Power cams started working their magic and that lovely straight six found it's voice again. My posterior now firmly planted in cushioned hide I let the needle see 6500 before selecting third, clutch up and the old girls response confirmed she was a willing participant in the game. We stirred that gearbox round the ( Long ) block sure in the knowledge that if the Boss had noticed us leave together he would know we were engaging in something elicit.

I've been buzzing for three days after that short squirt around the block, what a machine and what a terrible waste.

Anyways, thought I would share
Rod
Liked Replies
#809085 May 16th a 05:45 AM
by R Moulding
R Moulding
But what did she say about the MG?
3 members like this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com