Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Tridentman
Tridentman
New Jersey USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 86
quinten 75
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
Daytona72, Kurtis Flying Tiger, Edalfa, SDiff, Chopperbabe
11,846 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
5 members (koan58, linker48x, Lew101, Magnetoman, bugler), 28 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
kevin, wadeschields
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#804801 04/10/2020 4:22 PM
by wadeschields
wadeschields
So I am planning to mock up this B33 basket case that I have , to see what is missing. It appears to be missing hardware for sure. I was thinking about buying nuts and bolts by the pound at Tractor Supply. I already asked and they say whatever I dont use I can return.... It doesn't need to hold it together to ride it obviously so Im not looking for exact fit or care if its metric/standard really..... I just need the bike to go together like a puzzle to get an idea of what I have... Maybe clear some floor space too. Things can get lost when they are not attached to a bike .... Any better suggestions ? If I go with my idea I wonder what general size and how many I should go with???

Too much time on my hands /// Not enough time maybe...

Thanks
Liked Replies
by Alan_nc
Alan_nc
One of the things you are going to need at some point are all the correct nuts and bolts.

I usually go ahead and find the correct ones and then I've got everything I need for the build.

Just as easy to do it now as later.

Just my .02
1 member likes this
by chaterlea25
chaterlea25
Hi Wade,
The prop stand mounting shown is not original , Originally there was an inner half clamp, brazed to the frame tube
the stand pivot assembly bolts to the inner half, welding to the thin wall frame tubing causes all sorts of problems
Pattern prop sands of decent quality are available at around £100, Avoid the cheap ones you see advertised
Inner half lugs are the scarce parts though, I am making one from solid at the moment
It looks like you have the plates and thread reel spacers that mount the rear guard L stays
You also have a complete set of standard footrests,

John
1 member likes this
by Tridentman
Tridentman
It is a 58 or 59 model.
Fitted with a distributor where the mag used to go on earlier models.
Alternator on the end of the crankshaft---this needs a special primary cover with a saucepan shape to cover the alternator.
I see that you have the correct primary outer cover there---that is good--they are very rare--especially in US.
Looks like you have a good start to get to a pretty original finished bike.
BTW---the frame and engine numbers did not match from the factory--but you can date the frame and engine numbers separately to see if they date from the same year.
I have a 58/59 myself in non original trim.
Not very common in US so you have quite a rare machine there.
Best of luck with the rebuild/restoration.
1 member likes this
by Dave M
Dave M
The virus has a new epicenter! 😷
1 member likes this
by GrandPaul
GrandPaul
Just needs a seat, primary chain and air in the tires, then see if it'll fire up!
1 member likes this
by Tridentman
Tridentman
A couple of photos that might help.
When I bought it --mine already had a QPR primary belt drive installed.
HTH
Attached Images
1 member likes this
by TR6Ray
TR6Ray
Wade, I have not tried this myself, but it was told to me by a guy who has welded many side stand lugs into place. He said to get the bike assembled to where you can hold it straight upright on its own two wheels on a flat and level surface. Attach the side stand to the weld lug. Slip the lug (with side stand bolted to it) onto the frame such that the side stand rests on a piece of 2 x 4 lumber laid flat (which we all know is now 1 1/2" by 3 1/2" in reality). Tack the lug in that position. Remove the side stand and weld the lug as needed. When all is said and done, the bike should lean correctly. If you want a little more lean, stack a piece of 1/4" plywood on top of the 2" x 4" when mocking up the lug position. Also, you can verify this with one of your other bikes. If you put the side stand down on a scrap of 2" x 4", does the bike stand straight up?

The advantage to this method is that it lets you weld the lug in place before the engine is installed and in the way. A disadvantage I could see is that you won't know if there is any interference with the exhaust header until it is sorta kinda too late.

I have one of these jobs in my future, so I thought I would post this up for you and see what comments it gets.

Ray
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com