Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Photos on private message
by Mal Marsden - 06/16/22 7:00 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
TR6Ray
TR6Ray
Illinois, USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
reverb 88
Allan G 56
kevin 50
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 33
Newest Members
Jim Harris, Cuppy, budpotter, Mark Sharp, Ian Scotland UK
12,160 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
10 members (BrizzoBrit, Chris Johnson, MrMarty51, Jim Harris, Lannis, drp, bsalloyd, Magnetoman, Stuart Kirk, Noe), 16 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,310
Posts772,624
Members12,160
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, stuart bonnie, Tigernuts
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by R Moulding
R Moulding
Some years ago my TR6 head went away to a well known shop, I asked for new guides and seats. When it returned I found the chap had taken it upon himself to fit bigger valves and open the ports. I’ve had no end of trouble since with the timing side constantly blowing head gaskets, the last time wrecking a con rod. Today whilst removing the exhaust valve guide I found out why. He opened up the exhaust port so far he broke through and I have hole between the fins on top of the head! Why can’t people just do what they are asked?

Rod
Liked Replies
#805425 Apr 15th a 08:27 AM
by R Moulding
R Moulding
Almost be worth the plane fare to punch the c*&t in the head.

Rod
2 members like this
#819203 Aug 8th a 01:47 PM
by gavin eisler
gavin eisler
I dont think the marks in the valve guide bore are rifling, more likely where a carbide burr has rattled round the entry. Shocking.
1 member likes this
#820815 Aug 22nd a 08:05 AM
by R Moulding
R Moulding
Tigernuts, I've been holding off a reply while waiting to hear back from Len. This job was over 10 years ago so unlikely something that would hold up in court, it was also organised entirely over the phone and I don't even remember seeing an invoice. Just a phone call to say it's done pay the money and I'll send it.

Lens response was to tell me it didn't sound like a job he would have done but had I contacted him when issues started to arise he would have sorted it. When I replied that I had contacted him 09 to inform him of just that he decided it was better not to reply. I had to email him again and push him into a response. He accused me of being the kind of guy that tries his luck at getting a free job and washed his hands confirming he would no longer reply to further emails.

Interestingly whilst I would have been quite happy to take my money back there is no way on Gods green earth I would have sent him my head again even to have it fixed for free.
1 member likes this
#832393 Dec 6th a 10:36 AM
by Dibnah
Dibnah
Originally Posted by 1971tr6
-
-
-
I would never put bigger valves into any head that had nice stock seats, use those seats up by riding and not by hogging them out with misled dreams of extra easy power. Most every instance where I saw people put hot-rod parts and home porting etc. into a car or bike ended up making the car slower or no faster than it was.

One old friend of mine ported out his Trumpet head and the bike lost all sorts of low-end power, he ended up throwing the head out and buying a stocker to put back on it, and he got all the power back he lost with his home port job.

I'm quite pleased when my British bikes start, run reliably and get me home again.

The cheapest route to more (reliable) horsepower is to buy something from Japan
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com