Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Jon W. Whitley
Jon W. Whitley
Vermont
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Thread Like Summary
Beach
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#802305 03/22/2020 4:27 PM
by Beach
Beach
Getting ready to lace front wheel 1965 LR 8" 1/2 brake and wondered if they were only 2 types of spokes or 3 or 4. Using original spokes and the hub side look the same, but the brake side may have 2 kinds.
Liked Replies
#803748 Apr 2nd a 05:47 PM
by Ignoramus
Ignoramus
Beach
not sure if this will be helpful .......but hey it might give u a laugh .......when i did mine i didnt have any fancy equipment to test torque so i just got them to what i reckoned was right (been a fitter/turner all my working life) but ive also been pedantic all my life as well.

SO i took the wheel to a friend who is a piano tuner and got him to go round the spokes and hit them with a small steel bar and listen to the "ping" sound to check for even tension by the note they made .......he said they were all pretty good but only a couple needed a bit more or less and then declared them PBG ( pretty blood good)

I couldn't hear any difference in the ones he said were too "sharp (tight) or flat (;loose) " but he could hear
the micro differences in the sound
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com