Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade your membership to Premium Membership or Gold Membership or even Benefactor

New Sponsor post
10% Off Girling at The Bonneville Shop 2/3-2/9/23
by The Bonneville Shop - 02/03/23 6:14 pm
New FAQ post
News & Announcements
Premium members! 🌟
by Morgan aka admin - 02/09/23 12:52 pm
Benefactor ✅
by Morgan aka admin - 02/09/23 11:15 am
Buy BritBike staff a coffee ☕️ or pint 🍺
by Morgan aka admin - 01/15/23 9:29 am
How to guides - Technical articles
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Member Spotlight
Mountain that speaks
Mountain that speaks
Scottsville, NY
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 90
DavidP 84
kevin 56
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kev. 32
DavidP 26
Lannis 26
Newest Members
Igloo, patrickblue, j-bud, Uneasy Rider, Mally
12,395 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,568
Posts784,697
Members12,395
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Random Gallery photo
Photo posting tutorial

Thread Like Summary
BeezaBryan, Gordon Gray, ricochetrider, TR6Ray, wadeschields
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#800160 03/05/2020 10:41 PM
by BeezaBryan
BeezaBryan
Is it time to be thimking of another 100.100.100?

100 mile ride, Thursday April 9th 2020, combined age of bike/rider 100 or more
Liked Replies
#824483 Sep 22nd a 06:57 PM
by BeezaBryan
BeezaBryan
I got the Flash & Box out the garage.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I put it back in the garage 100 miles later

More words & a few pics tomorrow
I'm knackered
Goodnight
sleep
3 members like this
#824575 Sep 23rd a 06:06 PM
by DavidP
DavidP
I finally made it over to The Devil's Triangle.
https://thegreybeardbiker.com/2020/08/riding-the-devils-triangle/

I rode Mr Jim down US70 to Rockwood, up US27 to Harriman, and TN61 to Oliver Springs.
I topped off my petrol, as there's nothing but a couple of country stores on the Triangle.
I took TN62 from Oliver Springs and turned right on TN116. Just past the gate of the prison a TDOT truck blocked the road. He said that there was a wide load coming down, so I rode up to the prison for some pictures. Brushy Mountain was a max security prison back in the day. James Earl Ray spent his days there. They used to say that if you managed to escape the snakes would get you before the guards found you.
Just past the prison is where the road gets fun. Gnarly switchbacks and hairpin curves. One must pay full attention, the road is in decent shape but there is gravel and debris in spots. I was lucky to not round a corner and find a logging truck in the road. They used to dig coal in this area, but logging is about the only industry now.
I took video, but I need to edit, YouTube says it's too long.
Took TN116 to TN330 back to Oliver Springs. From there I took TN62 through Wartburg and Lancing, left on TN298 back to Crossville. Rough estimate, about 150 miles and a thousand smiles. laugh
3 members like this
#803929 Apr 4th a 03:40 AM
by DavidP
DavidP
Hope we can all do this. Our governor has issued a stay-at-home dictum, but I think it's only enforced in the cities.
He also said that cycling is okay. I think he was talking about pedal bikes, but I can always tell the cops that he said it was okay to be on a bike.
"Why are you within 6 feet of me, officer?"
1 member likes this
#803957 Apr 4th a 11:25 AM
by BeezaBryan
BeezaBryan
Go for it if you can folks thumbsup

I am confined to home for another 10 weeks - mid June I think.
My plan is for a Pseudo 100.100.100 Ride, maybe early July any one else in US, UK or anywhere is welcome to join me beerchug
1 member likes this
#803974 Apr 4th a 01:29 PM
by BeezaBryan
BeezaBryan
Originally Posted by franko
September 22nd would be 100 days to go in this leap year.

Now there is an excellent idea.
Then a few days later the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride on Sunday 27th, which I hope to do again.
1 member likes this
#823378 Sep 11th a 05:37 PM
by BeezaBryan
BeezaBryan
Originally Posted by BeezaBryan
Originally Posted by franko
September 22nd would be 100 days to go in this leap year.

Now there is an excellent idea.
Then a few days later the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride on Sunday 27th, which I hope to do again.

Thanks to this coronacrap the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride is a no go this year t but come what may I am planning on a ride for Tuesday September 22nd.

100 days to the end of the year with a bike & rider more or a bit less 100 years riding 100 or more miles.

Anyone and everyone is welcome join me, virtually of course.
1 member likes this
#824519 Sep 23rd a 12:28 AM
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Bryan, so glad to see you getting out a bit, my friend. thumbsup

Adam, close enough for me but since I cheated too, you better seek a 2nd opinion! smile

For my 100/100/100 ride, I took the R100RS out, so I cheated a wee bit. German bike (1989) @ 31 yrs + rider @ 64 yrs = 95. However, to make up for any *other* shortcomings, I rode a total of 242.6 kilometers, or 150 + miles.

[Linked Image from ricochetridersmotomojo.zenfolio.com]

PA 11/15 N to New Valley Road in Marysvile. PA 850 to New Bloomfield. PA 274 from there to the intersection with PA 75, over to Fannetsburg. Heading south I crossed 2 ridges and got. onto PA 533 and rode down to Shippensburg, then rode up over Big Flat on the South Mountain, down to PA 233. At Pine Grove Furnace State Park I continued straight and went down to Mount Holly Springs, picking up PA 34. Rode from Mt Holly over to Boiling Springs and more or less followed the Yellow Breeches Creek towards home.

Weather: lovely
Riding: excellent; explored new roadways
Bike: fantastic
Life: good

beerchug
1 member likes this
#824525 Sep 23rd a 01:40 AM
by GrandPaul
GrandPaul
I didn't get to ride today, 1 kid in school, and B-I-L in hospital needing my wyfe's time; it's a lot...

Anyway, about the "rules": THERE ARE NO RULES, really. It's just an idea to motivate people TO GET THEIR OLD BIKES OUT, and let people know they are still cool.

Anyway "R100" has '100' right there in the name!

You can always doo 100 KILOMETERS, and 100KPH, take a pillion and add up all the ages (easy); WHATEVER. If you can ride with another rider or two, so much better. We need the fellowship now more than ever.

Happy you lads got out there are represented Britbikers everywhere. Good for you.
1 member likes this
#824323 Sep 21st a 02:33 AM
by DavidP
DavidP
Beautiful weather all week. I go my route planned.
1 member likes this
#824582 Sep 23rd a 07:22 PM
by BeezaBryan
BeezaBryan
Originally Posted by Adam M.
I don't know if my yesterday trip counts, done on K75, because may Trident however started Sunday is still not finished. Me 71 + BMW 27 = 98.
Done 140 miles, but top speed was perhaps 80 mph, all secondary roads.
Today much shorter 80 miles with great meeting in our Befountain Cafe.

Glad you could join us Adam
The origin of the 100/100/100 ride was and for me is still - combined bike/rider age 100 years (or thereabouts ), a +/- 100 mile ride on the 100th day of the year.
It's all about getting out and enjoying the ride.

Thanks to the Coronacrap it was not possible to do the 100th day but Franko suggested September 22 being 100 days left of to this year end also it is the first day of autumn and the Autumn Equinox in the Northern hemisphere.

The illegal speed thing sort of crept in last year but to me goes against the ethos of the ride.
Each to their own of course.
1 member likes this
#824581 Sep 23rd a 07:22 PM
by BeezaBryan
BeezaBryan
Thank you Tom and David for your detailed ride route, something that with pleasure I can follow with Google Maps and Street View. Pics are always appreciated
And Tom, near enough is good enough!
1 member likes this
#824594 Sep 23rd a 09:00 PM
by BeezaBryan
BeezaBryan
Best i now start my own little tale.

There is no real way I can write my routing as others have done but I will try to post a Google Maps link to the route me and the Flash & a Box took yesterday.

https://goo.gl/maps/AjYD6476fAVMk4aR6
I can't get Google maps to include the first few miles to get an empty tank filled.

So to the ride - head off on minor roads for the moorlands, Holestome Moor Beeley Moor. I came across a pair of drystone wallers on East Moor rebuilding a damaged wall section.

Good to see a young lady learning the skill.

Moorland looks flat but in fact is anything but with steep inclines & tight bends.

Onwards to probably the highest point before the winding drop down to Hathersage

At the planned lunch break at Sparrowpit I forgot to take any pics other than of my mug of tea while waiting for veggie soap 7 fresh crusty bread.

A few miles of main road until the halfway point of the ride, the back on the smaller roads once more.
More moorland, Fernilee reservoirs in the Goyt Valley, to Buxton.

Moving down to greener pastures I was reminded that I would soon be at the Juction Cafe at Hulme End

At last at Hulme End where at last I would, for first time for many months, sit with our long time friends and riding buddies face to face. Telephone calls are OK but ...........
This place is at the end of the now long defunct Manifold Light Railway

The skies gradually got darker, a dampness in the air said to to say adieu and go our separate ways.

A while later I called at regular rest stop and thought to do a pic for our friend Lannis, he may well remember this place.

Then a matter of a dozen or so miles and I was home.
Bike 68 yrs + rider 79, by happenstance exactly 100 miles (at not more than 50mph) on the !st day of autumn 100 days to years end.

Start and finish

I was tired but very happy smile and spent next day quietly recovering beerchug
1 member likes this
#824618 Sep 24th a 02:15 AM
by wadeschields
wadeschields
Gerry and I always talk about how wonderful and plentiful the stone walls are in that part of the world and if gives me great joy to see those fine young people keeping them in good nick. Geoff and Sara's smiling faces will alway brighten the gloomiest of days.... Glad you got out for and completed the 100/100/100...

I had a small inclination to do it myself but work and location kept me from doing it to that extent . I did however get a bike out and go for a spin ... I got the 100 age part on the 100 day but fell way way short on the 100 mile part.... However I did get a good photos ...

In honor of Diana Rigg's passing I decided a stop at the Emma Peel Room was worth a photo... Bar was closed so no refreshment could be had but I had one later.

Cant wait to see you all in person again Bryan.... And Geoff and Sara.... The whole gang if possible

1 member likes this
#824623 Sep 24th a 03:58 AM
by BeezaBryan
BeezaBryan
You'd be fine Wade no gluten in Glutton, it is an isolated place on the edge of the Derbyshire & Staffordshire moorlands with just a few houses on either side of the tiny River Dove and a garage at what was once a cheese factory beerchug

Been through Glutton Bridge many times but until now never thought about the meaning of the name.

Oxford English Dictionary has two definitions of Glutton -
An excessively greedy eater or an old-fashioned word for a wolverine.
1 member likes this
#824625 Sep 24th a 04:33 AM
by BeezaBryan
BeezaBryan
Originally Posted by Lannis
Well, now, was there to be another picture in there ... ? Geoff and Sara are instantly familiar anywhere in the world, in any context, but can't say I remember the place!

Lannis

You would not remember that place Lannis 'cos your memorable Derbyshire Yorkshire tour took a different direction. Hulme End is at the end of what was the narrow guage Manifold Light Railway. The old station buildings are now a tea shop & visitor centre, the track bed is now a popular walking trail.

A bit history here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWZbZGGnE6E

Being about half hour ride from their home it was a good place for us to meet.
In front of the old station waiting room & booking office stands their Matchless stands next the Flash
Some track bed remains are in the foreground.
1 member likes this
#824852 Sep 26th a 11:02 AM
by breeze1954
breeze1954
Hi Bryan, wonderful pictures my friend, great to see you out and about with the Flash.

Hi Lannis, Some of the old railways in our area have been made into bicycle and walking paths. Even a couple of the old stations have been leased out and turned into restaurants and rest areas decorated with history of the period. Never tried them myself but seems a good use for them I think, well at least till the covid thing put the cabach on them.
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2023 britbike.com