Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleIndustrial tec supplyHepolite PistonsThe Bonneville Shop

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Kenny
Kenny
Oklahoma
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Top Posters(30 Days)
Allan G 68
quinten 62
DavidP 55
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 24
Allan G 18
Newest Members
neilhart, Dguzzi, Peter McCarthy, Seb Clare, Trevi
11,779 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
5 members (KevRasen, SpeedyV, Cyborg, desco, quinten), 43 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
HughdeMann
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#799216 02/24/2020 1:00 PM
by Mike Baker
Mike Baker
Work almost got the better of my racing plans but finally was able to leave for the 5 hour drive to Savannah Friday afternoon. That meant missing Friday practice after almost 5 months off the track. Not an ideal way to start the season. Saturday morning temps were in the high 20's and I elected to skip the first practice session. By the time second session came around, it was in the low 40's so seeing as it would be my only chance to refamiliarize myself with the track, I got the Triumph started and headed out. Now, over the winter, I had some work done - a new dual plug head with some extensive porting. Made an almost 10% power bump on the dyno. So- I was anxious to see what it felt like on the track. It didn't disappoint, until on the second lap it dropped a cylinder at about 6500 rpm in 3rd to the sound of shattered aluminum. Coasted into the pit feeling shattered myself. An autopsy this week will most likely point to a total engine strip. Hopefully that head can be salvaged. Dropping a screwdriver into the plug holes showed a bottomless pit on the right side. First guess is that I had jetted on the smallish side and with the cold air (density) it got too lean.
The B 50 did good though. I got through the production lightweight pack and wound up on Alex McClain's tail for a few laps. Chasing a really good rider is the best schooling there is. Sunday, The B50 was kind of hard to start so I switched out the battery for a fully charged one. All good. Just leaving the pit for the warm up lap and it quit. A battery lead had come off and I couldn't get it back on in time so that was that. The officials agreed to let me run in heavyweight though.
Gridded for that race - I'm used to a multiple wave start, this was a single wave start - the pack left and I was on the start in neutral. SH*T....Nothing to do but try to make up time. The B50 isn't all that powerful but it seems to be able to carry a lot of corner speed and I was able to pick off the 3 back riders in the corners. The guy in second was on an RD 350 Yamaha. He out pulled me on the straight but I made up in the corners We had a good race for a couple of laps, I couldn't get by him until he went a little wide in a left, I think turn 7 and I dove inside of him and proceeded to further test the limits of the BSA. Didn't find them. Incredible. What a fun bike! Anyway, was able to hold him off and take 2nd to a 750 Triumph.
Good weekend spent with friends. Hopefully Semper Gumby chimes in.
Liked Replies
#801337 Mar 15th a 02:38 AM
by Jerry Roy
Jerry Roy
Originally Posted by HughdeMann
Lawnmower??? What is a lawnmower?

The sixteen year old neighbor kid.
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com