Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Excalibur
Excalibur
New Zealand
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Thread Like Summary
Beach, BeezaBryan, BSA_WM20, DJinCA, gavin eisler, George Kaplan, Gordon Gray, Hugh Jörgen, Jon W. Whitley, Kev., MikeG, PINEMONKEY, ricochetrider, Semper Gumby, tridentt150v
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by kevin
kevin
not everybody listens to music, but for those who do, everybody's tastes are different, curiously so.

the last few days i've been struck by two pieces of music that i cannot get out of my head. i drive a truck for 10 or 12 hours a day, can't get out, can't stop, can't do anything else. so the stuff i think about has a long time to work.

i don't see how these two pieces of music could be so different, and yet both have affected me strongly. so this is what i'm listening to, at the moment. what about you?

to make the link appear as a youtube video, copy the entire URL from the browser search field and paste it into britbike's video option above the reply window.
Liked Replies
by DavidP
DavidP

That drummer just died at 107.
Her style reminds me a lot of Gene Krupa.
2 members like this
by Jon W. Whitley
Jon W. Whitley
My favorite Motorhead song, hands down.

2 members like this
by DavidP
DavidP
2 members like this
by Hugh Jörgen
Hugh Jörgen
1 member likes this
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
The deaths of most people in Show Business don’t usually get to me. Hell death doesn’t usually make me too emotional until it’s somebody REAL close. Call me jaded or whatever. After so many people in my life have died, I’ve come to view it as the same as birth. Just one of the three parts of living: birth, life, & death, in which birth and death are interchangeable and life is what you make it.

John Prine tho. His first album came out in 1970 or so. I’ve felt all along as though I’ve known him- having friends in Nashville, I’ve gotten to hear stories lately- recently, of his hanging out in town, of his being right in there as an active and socially engaging and totally accessible member of the local music scene and their community.

John Prine has some special stuff going on without a doubt. Yet remained humble and acted as if even he wasn’t 100% sure where his words came from or how he even managed to get them all together to form songs. I’ve been listening to his songs, to interviews, and reading articles about him. Fortunately I got to see him perform definitely on 2 occasions, decades apart- and I FEEL like I saw him a third time in there somewhere between the 2. Although maybe it’s just because he’s always been in my head? Been a significant part of my life’s music? The most recent time I saw him perform was just 2 years ago. Maybe 1/3 or more of his performance was songs from that first record! They still had the exact same impact as they did when I first heard them, when I was 16. I laughed, I cried, my heart soared! I rejoiced in wonder at how a set of songs could have that kind of lasting impact. That touches you the same after all these years, after hearing them hundreds and hundreds of times.

No other musician’s work does that to me- with the possible exception of Jackson Browne whose first few records came straight at me in a more deeply personal way. John Prine’s songs are far more accessible to everybody because his folksy way of writing is so naturally.... all inclusive? Straightforward? Down-home-y? The magic of John Prine’s songwriting is that his words cut across all barriers of time and aging and place. They are written in such a way that your great grandmother can relate to them as easily as your 14 year old son would. Some songwriters write from within; their songs, as a result, can only be felt by those who’ve experienced similar things. John Prine’s songs come to us, through him, from the entire universe, seemingly from all human existence.

I feel like I’ve lost a brother. We have lost an American Treasure. This ARTICLE is great and seems so typical of the guy I thought I knew all these years, all these DECADES, all my life.

John Prine: turns out he is exactly the guy you always wanted to believe he was.
Sweet.
Humble.
Loving.
An accidental genius.
I hope he Rests In Peace, where ever he is now.

1 member likes this
by wadeschields
wadeschields
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmUXntGlqFI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7oqAAXZaks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giDttMU-k00 Ha Ha

and Neil Diamond keeps the theme going
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxnETrhOIAE
1 member likes this
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Drop And Roll
John Scofield

1 member likes this
by Semper Gumby
Semper Gumby
And now for something completely different...

A singing friend who also happens to ride bicycles and I have been getting out for social distanced rides -- and there is an old Railroad tunnel in the middle of nowhere on our route -- about a 900 foot of tunnel. Nine seconds of natural reverb is hard to pass up for choral singers. We go to the center and set up the zoom digital recorder with a Dead Cat Cover* and in between the other riders, passing airplanes and crow or two, we get recordings. They are not perfect but they have had an effect on people who are stuck indoors. Here is one of those recordings from what we call The Tunnel Tunes Project. When I can get a Bass and an Alto to join us I'll post an updated version.

Peace.

Crossing the Bar - Soprano and Tenor

Music by C.H.H. Parry words by Alfred, Lord Tennyson.

Sunset and evening star,
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea,

But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
Turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark;

For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have crost the bar.

*yes Richard - Dead Catz do have a purpose! Keeping the breeze off the mics.
1 member likes this
by Kev.
Kev.
Do you fancy another

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biGm7nUgisA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UHHc7POovg
1 member likes this
by Dibnah
Dibnah
Black Sabbath, again. Quite tuneful compared to modern "thrash" metal.

I generally end up in a loop of Paranoid, Silver Machine (Hawkwind) and some Motorhead. Old habits are difficult to break.

Tractors!
1 member likes this
by bsawood
bsawood
Thanks Kev. That made my night.
1 member likes this
by KarlB
KarlB
Been listening to this relaxing mix on Spotify, well I have a lot of reading to do and I find it helps.

Spotify - ChilledCow's Favourites

Also available on YouTube.

YouTube link to Chilled Cow beats to relax to...
1 member likes this
by DavidP
DavidP
Originally Posted by MikeG
I bet it was fun. Never saw them, but I had a cassette tape of a new years eve concert the did in San Diego that always brought a smile to my face.
I'm a happy boy, hubba hubba hubba hubba
1 member likes this
by DavidP
DavidP

I play this after I vote in every election. Doesn't do much good but it makes me feel better.
Now it's time to break out the LP and crank it up LOUD!
1 member likes this
by NickL
NickL
Always a favourite of mine.

1 member likes this
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Karen O + Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross covers Immigrant Song.
Not the best audio tho... still cool, and the graphics of the opening title sequence to the film are just great

1 member likes this
by reverb
reverb
...hi Ricochet; as you know I am more into the parallel World of music than the mainstream: also I prefer the music; sound and concepts than the lyrics based songs but this artist seems good; specially "mustang"where music and lyrics are working together to have a high quality level of song. Thank you
1 member likes this
by Kev.
Kev.
Some cool old style Jazz

1 member likes this
by BeezaBryan
BeezaBryan
Something a bit different

1 member likes this
by DavidP
DavidP

I put this on repeat when I travel for the holidays.
Santa still hasn't brought me that machine gun.
1 member likes this
by kevin
kevin
1 member likes this
by PINEMONKEY
PINEMONKEY
+1 on the MOTORHEAD.
1 member likes this
by raf940
raf940
tom hope you are safe/well in july 1970 an up and coming group called the allman brothers performed at the Love Valley Rock Festival in the cowboy town of Love Valley, NC near Statesville around 100,000 people showed up including me i was 18 years old......some school teachers from florida camped next to me i was sleeping in my 1960 chevy they invited me over to their campfire and got me stoned for the first time i can still hear "Tied to the Whippin Post" like it was yesterday
http://www.shelbyinfo.com/anniversary-of-ncs-woodstock-is-here-cms-16427
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com