Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Tridentman
Tridentman
New Jersey USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 87
quinten 75
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
Daytona72, Kurtis Flying Tiger, Edalfa, SDiff, Chopperbabe
11,846 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (Magnetoman, BrizzoBrit, chaterlea25, C.B.S), 26 guests, and 68 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Gordon Gray, ricochetrider
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#599049 05/11/2015 10:06 PM
by TR6Ray
TR6Ray
We are having a good Spring with lots of rain, but since it finally quit today I went out for a spin. I even remembered to take a camera, so here's my aimless meandering. First stop was at my buddy's Shell Gas Station for some V-Power. I burn a lot of that in my Vee-Twin, but today, V stood for vertical twin.

[Linked Image]

I've known the guy who owns this place for many years. In fact, he and I took our first long mcy ride together 44 years ago. We left Illinois and saw the Rocky Mountains, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, and more on our 450 Hondas. I even worked part time for him in this station back in the late 1970's. He is one of the few who still does mechanical work in the bays, and has not switched over to selling beer and groceries.

I stopped by the wheel shop, but didn't see anybody around the yard today. When I was trucking, I hauled hundreds of these railroad wheel sets.

[Linked Image]

Then a stop at the old barn from which I pulled the old BMW project that I really should be working on today. Again, nobody was home, so I snapped a picture and moved on.

[Linked Image]

We have what the Brits call a roundabout, but here it is called a square. Nobody knows how to drive properly around it, so you have to watch your step, especially on a bike.

[Linked Image]

Out in the country, the corn has been up in places for a couple weeks. You just gotta keep that ethanol going, right?

[Linked Image]

Here's where a lot of it will go when it gets harvested. We have these grain elevators all over the place. Sometimes, they get overwhelmed, and the corn gets piled up in mountains outside.

[Linked Image]

I'm old enough to remember when they were building this one. Two of my brothers-in-law worked the job as college kids, pouring the concrete. At quitting time, there were a lot of guys climbing down the steel rungs on the outside of the towers. You had to keep moving as fast as you could, or get your fingers stepped on by the guy above you that was ready for beer-thirty.

If you notice the ground level pedestrian door, you get an idea of how tall this is:

[Linked Image]

There is an old Union Pacific EMD switcher that stays here all the time to run cars in and out of the siding. I guess this unit used to be out in Oregon (more info HERE if you are a railroad nut like my older brother) Caution -- that is a big, picture intensive site that takes a while to load.

[Linked Image]

Here's a look eastward down the TP&W tracks (Toledo, Peoria, and Western). The prairie seems really flat here, until I try to ride my bicycle (push bike for you Brits) on it help :

[Linked Image]

There are some nice scenic roads -- this one is called Grimm Road, but not because it is grim, that's just the name of a family with a farm along the way:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I stopped by the lake on the way home:

[Linked Image]

Then I called it a day. There's a cold front moving through, making it really windy today, but it was still a great day to be out. Temps were in the low 70's F. This was just a 65 mile loop out of town.

I've been following the vibration discussion on the Triumph board called Shakin' all over, and feel blessed to have one that just doesn't have that problem whatsoever. Maybe it is the benefit of a single carb, but this bike is smooth sailing through every gear and up to somewhere north of 80 mph. It could be the smoothest bike I've ever had, with the possible exception of my FXRS with the rubber mounted engine.

Cheers!

Ray
Liked Replies
#812565 Jun 14th a 11:59 PM
by TR6Ray
TR6Ray
After nearly a year, having dodged the virus (thus far), and with all four daily riders operable at the same time, I thought I would add a post to my old thread. We had a beautiful day here in central Illinois. I rode the Harley FXRS into Peoria first thing on an errand, then came home and fired up the TR6R. I had no particular destination in mind, so just wandered around a little, borrowing various driveway entrances to stop for a picture now and then.

This drive has a nice brick gateway on each side, tied in with a split rail fence. The house is clear back over the hill and out of sight. I'm thinking it must be a nice place, and well above my price range. That's O.K, though -- my own small yard is as much as I want to mow.

[Linked Image from tr6ray.zenfolio.com]

The view from the end of their lane is very nice:

Along another road is a farm house I have admired for a long time. It is always kept in perfect order:

It reminds me of the house on The Waltons TV show.

And for something a little more industrial, check out this mountain of wooden pallets:

The mountain of pallets looks trashy, but it is there for a purpose. The place is called a BCF, or Biomass Conversion Facility.

On their website, it says that it is "an innovative recycling center for handling waste stream wood and paper, municipal brush, storm debris, and other local sources of biomass. The building itself is made of repurposed shipping containers which are no longer sea-worthy. It is a highly efficient and economical structure with a small footprint and a low impact on the surrounding community. The BCF will process up to 100 tons per day, turning raw material into biomass fuel, mulch, and other products. Most of this material would otherwise have gone into a landfill."

Another view of the recycled shipping containers:

It was a very nice, end of spring day to be out and about in Illinois!
1 member likes this
#822117 Sep 2nd a 05:08 PM
by TR6Ray
TR6Ray
(Part 2 of 2 -- see Part 1 above)

How about a shiny '65 convertible, reflecting some great old gasoline memorabilia from the past?

It's in immaculate condition:

Remember redline tires?

I have so many memories of this era of Pontiacs from my younger days. This car is a real step back in time for me, but there are more motorcycles that you may like, such as this Trident:

. . . or maybe this one:

Maybe you'd prefer a '68 A65L (with a '67 tank, which I prefer)?

When we all got hungry, our host fired up his 1956 Arial Square Four and led us across town to an outdoor eatery:

So, as I recall the order en route, we had the Square Four in front, followed by the Black Shadow, followed by me with my TR6R, then the '47 Chief, the '72 Commando, and the Beemer. It made for quite a nice little parade through town, and was quite an experience for me. I had ridden before with most of the great old bikes in this group, but never with the Vincent and the Square Four. The nearest I had come to a Vincent or an Ariel was to stand by them in a museum. I was pretty much in awe to be riding in this group. Here we were parked for lunch:

BikeNut told me that while I was waiting in the food line, some people were looking at our bikes in the parking lot. One guy looked them all over and said, "What a nice old Triumph that is!" With all those exotic bikes surrounding my TR6R, I found that hilarious.

Anyway, we all had a great time immersed in vintage motorcycles, cars and collectibles. As always, it was a nice day to be out and about in Illinois!
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com