Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleIndustrial tec supplyHepolite PistonsThe Bonneville Shop

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
MarcaNL
MarcaNL
Nederland
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Top Posters(30 Days)
Allan G 67
quinten 62
DavidP 55
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 24
Allan G 18
Newest Members
neilhart, Dguzzi, Peter McCarthy, Seb Clare, Trevi
11,779 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
5 members (Deadstiffcatt, L.A.B., C.B.S, Lannis, Blown Income), 29 guests, and 84 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Bob E, ChiefRider, Gary E, kevin
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#480545 03/09/2013 5:34 AM
by DavidP
DavidP
I've seen it mentioned: "I have often wondered how the spitfire was able to achieve 120mph out of the box (if it actually ever did)"
I've also read period "tests", which quoted 125mph, without verification.
So, are there any verified results of just how fast a stock Spitfire can go?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Liked Replies
#825064 Sep 28th a 12:08 PM
by Kevin E
Kevin E
Originally Posted by Allan G
Maybe they meant Kilometers wink

Had 110mph out of the lightning, and there was a little more in the throttle but at the time the suspension wasn't up to even that so it was quite hair raising. That said, the bike isn't standard.. Megacycle track cam (x12) 32mm concentrics, small port head with big valves, and my own style 2-1 (short pipe) with long dunstall silencer. Could probably get more by adjusting the cam timing and tweeking jetting further. But im pretty happy with what I have their as a road bike.

also sheading some weight from my ever growing fat ass will help laughing

When I first put my Lightning back on the road I remember opening it up once and seeing around 110 on the speedo. It was so hard to ride like that that it didn't last long. The wind speed was trying to pull me of the handlebars and I can distinctly remember hardly being able to keep my feet on the footrests because everything was vibrating so much. The madness was cut short when my right foot vibrated onto the gear lever and managed to slip the bike into a false neutral. For a split second I thought the engine was going to explode and come through my arse. I calmed it down a lot after that.
1 member likes this
#825078 Sep 28th a 05:36 PM
by ChiefRider
ChiefRider
I've probably run my Thunderbolt up to 80 or so, it wasn't particularly enjoyable! Fastest I have been on 2 wheels was 95 mph on a brand new 1980 Harley Davidson Sturgis. High speeds have no allure for me on 2 wheels.
1 member likes this
#825109 Sep 28th a 09:51 PM
by triton thrasher
triton thrasher
Originally Posted by kevin
my 66 Tbolt will do 70 mph on a flat, 75 with a long downhill.

very easy to start-- almost no compression to fight!

Is there a sidecar on it?
1 member likes this
#825203 Sep 29th a 08:11 PM
by Gary E
Gary E
Awesome video.

Not to be outdone by other posters, my skateboard will do 45 MPH downhill and 50 MPH when I have a beer in my hand.
1 member likes this
#825119 Sep 29th a 12:19 AM
by NickL
NickL
The photo-reconnaissance spitfires were the fastest overall, well over 400mph in most cases.
1 member likes this
#825262 Sep 30th a 06:02 PM
by Andy Higham
Andy Higham
Same Pilot Goodwood Revival 1998
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]50400840933_72fb1100df_c by Sigma Projects, on Flickr
1 member likes this
#825269 Sep 30th a 07:15 PM
by raf940
raf940
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnc78LW7V1U
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com