Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade to Premium membership HERE! Premium Membership

New Sponsor post
15% Off Black Friday Sale
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/24/22 5:51 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
Lannis
Lannis
Central Virginia
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
kevin 55
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Bry 24
Newest Members
Hedgehog65, NDarwin, Bas classic bikes, lojo, Doug McLaren
12,333 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (Tridentman, grumps65, Gordo in Comox, Magnetoman), 20 guests, and 38 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,683
Posts782,996
Members12,333
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, EdinStAug, Gary E, Jon W. Whitley
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#20219 01/30/2007 3:01 AM
by Gary E
Gary E
After rebuilding several A65 and B44 rear wheels, I find no difference between the left-hand and right-hand spokes. The spares manuals ('67, '68, '70) indicate different part numbers for each.

Any "old salts" out there know the difference between them or not?
Liked Replies
by EdinStAug
EdinStAug
I just bought spokes to lace a rear wheel with QD hub, packaging came labeled with both inner & outer part numbers, but all 40 spokes are identical as far as I can tell. I guess close will have to be good enough.
1 member likes this
by Gary E
Gary E
Turns out that one side of the spokes (20) are 1/8" longer, so if they are mixed with the others or put on the incorrect side, they will likely have to be ground off
to be flat with the spoke nipples before installing the rim straps.
1 member likes this
by Irish Swede
Irish Swede
Regarding spoke head angles:

I have seen wheelwrights spoking cycle wheels install the spokes, then whack the head area with a plastic mallet to "set" the heads in the hubs.

This probably also bends the spokes "to fit."
1 member likes this
by RF Whatley
RF Whatley
Not only that, but sometimes BSA and Triumph give differnt part numbers to inner and outer spokes, but the head angle is so close to being the same that the after market people simply supply the same spoke and let you bend the outer over a little more during fitting.

:bigt:
1 member likes this
by Gary E
Gary E
Gordo,

You may well be correct. I have noticed the slight offset of the hub. Thus, the spoke length may be the difference, hence the different part numbers. All of the spokes I have compared have been originals and all are the same length (except where the factory shaved the ends flush with the nipples after lacing).
1 member likes this
by Gordo in Comox
Gordo in Comox
Gary: The Gold Star parts book also has different part numbers for left and right sides. A look at two original wheels, one an A65 Borrani and the other a preunit steel rim shows that the crinkle hub in both wheels is further to the non brake side (right) if you just compare where the spokes go into the hub and ignore the brake spline. Although a small difference it could in theory call for a slightly longer spoke on that side. It could be that suppliers these days ignore the difference.

Gordo
1 member likes this
by Kev Ev
Kev Ev
I bought a set of stainless spokes for my 66 Lightning from the Devon Rim Company along with one of their stainless rims. The 40 st/st spokes were all the same length. My bike has the QD crinkle hub and after a lot of research I found from a reliable source that the rear wheel rim should be laced central with the crinkle hub, no offset. Which explains the 40 spokes of the same length. That’s how I went ahead and built my rear wheel and it’s all worked out ok. I checked the alignment with a laser sensor before I rebuilt the wheel and when the rear spindle and bare crinkle hub was assembled in the swinging arm I hit the centre of the crinkle hub with the laser once it was aligned correctly with the frame. I used the centre of the front engine mounting and the swinging arm pivot as the other reference points.
1 member likes this
by Roadwarrior
Roadwarrior
The original post was January 2007. I think Gary figured it out long before now.
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com