Hi Dave,
Originally Posted by koan58
Perhaps I misunderstood this statement of yours?
Originally Posted by Stuart
I've been fitting similar to Britbikes since my first rewire over the '82/'83 winter. Changeover relay for the headlamp, imho you're missing a trick - it might "keep the load off" the handlebar dipswitch but the headlamp current is still across the ignition and lighting switches contacts.
as there isn’t an ignition relay, the lights are presumably supplied independently of the ignition switch?
Correct. Same paragraph:-
My T100 also has an Ammeter, its relay #30 terminals are connected to the same Ammeter terminal as the reg./rec. -ve wire, the headlamp draw shows on the Ammeter but then bypasses all the switches.

Can your lights be on when the ignition is off?
No; from my previous post:-
an on/off relay for each headlamp bulb filament, when the ignition switch is off, there isn't any power to the dipswitch (that switches the two relays) so both relays are off, so both headlamp bulb filaments are off;

. because I've never switched the headlamp current with the ignition switch, a changeover relay doesn't work for me, because terminal #30 is connected to terminal #87b #87a when the relay is 'off'; i.e. whichever headlamp bulb filament was connected to #87b #87a would be on and working even when the bike was parked;
this relay is nothing more than a dipswitch,
It might be for you, because you supply its terminal #30 from your "ignition relay", or Kev intends to supply his from the "Light Switch"; in either case, the power to the changeover relay terminal #30 is cut when the ignition switch is off.

Otoh, I supply the headlamp either direct from the battery or from the aforementioned Ammeter terminal; the relays themselves are the only switches between battery -ve and the headlamp bulb filaments.

Anyone using relays to supply the headlamp is using two relays: either a relay switched on/off by the ignition switch, which supplies the changeover relay switched by the dipswitch ... or two relays switched by the dipswitch. In the latter case, as I say, ignition switch off, no power to the dipswitch, both headlamp relays off. thumbsup

Hth.

Regards,