Originally Posted by NickL
First up, sorry RF i didn't mean to offend you.
No one has offended me. I'm not mad or upset, I'm simply being emphatic.

Each of us has blind spots. There are areas of knowledge that are not our specialty. (Mine seems to be women. laughing ) When I try to talk about a subject like astrophysics, an astrophysicist will look at me like I'm crazy. Running concurrently with this is the human tendency of smart and/or successful people to believe they know more than they do. A shining example of this is when movie stars believe they know how political policy ought to be run better than anyone else. You can listen to these people and immediately your face winces as you listen to them. It's NOT that they are stupid. They are rational, intelligent people, but they are simply trying to operate well beyond their area of expertise.

All this leads to my brother-in-law's favorite saying, "You don't know what you don't know." In other words, it's easy for anyone to get "bitten" because normally rational and intelligent people try to work in an area they don't really know about. They don't know the basic "pitfalls" in that specific area, and so the end result is that they end up falling right into a big "pit" that is glaringly obvious to those with some knowledge in that area.

If I told you that we could bolt the cylinder head on by having a bolt come from the side of the engine, you would all laugh. No! The forces of compression and the method of construction tell us all that the head was fitted to the engine in the vertical, therefore to oppose the forces of compression, the head bolts must also be in the vertical. Everyone clearly sees that.

But what some are saying here is that we can bolt or clamp the alternator rotor from the side (axially), and effectively oppose radial forces. That is, the forces would be acting 90 degree to the holding force. For the same reason you cannot attach a cyl head from the side, you also cannot hold/ retain/ constrain a Lucas rotor for exploding with clamping forces from the side. It's a very similar situation. One is plainly obvious, the other is harder to see unless you work in the field.

Then on top of all that we have cast aluminum that cures with a very large grain structure making the breakage probable and inevitable.

Sorry to beat a dead horse... I think we simply leave it at.... If your rotor is even a tiny bit loose, it will only get looser. So start and end with replacing it immediately.

All the best. thumbsup