well, there ar eonly three kinds of loads.

a preload is when you show up with an empty trailer and swap it for one that the customer has already loaded-- steel of all kinds, dressed lumber, manufactured hvac equipment. its on the trailer already, so you just add your own straps, chains, and taps and take off, leaving the empty for them to load for spomeone else.

a live load is when you show up and they load you right then and there. lumber, military vehicles, rolls of newsprint, boulders, shipping containers, shingles, farm tractors, could be anything. they load you with their own equipment.

and then there's drop and hook, where you show up somewhere with a loaded trailer, leave it, and drive away with an empty one. or vise versa. usually larger distribution centers like lowes or walmart.

none of thee loads involve the driver doing anything but watching, and you are always forbiddenn to drive their forklift, operate their overhead cranes, or do anything with the loading except to specify how yoou want it placed on the truck. so i can't touch anything, but i customarily work with the crane operators or forklift drivers to put things where i want them.

that's important, because your permissible axle weights are determined by law.i can carry 13,000 or so on the front axle, 34,000 on the drivves, and thenan 40,000 on the rear of a flatbed trailer if the axles are ten feet apart. to stay under the limit of 80,000 pounds i might carry a 47,000 pound steel coil, and i will place it 18 inches to thhe rear of the trailer center in order to not exceed 34,000 in the fron or 40,000 in the rear. there's an art to loading the trbuck that you develop a skill in, because you sometimes have to carry three or four very heavy objects of different wieghts like spulley sheaves for strip mine equipment or plate steel, and a foot either way will exceed an axle weight front or back.

but the only equipment i can personally use to help load is a hand truck oor pallet jack,.in lots of places i am not permitted to help because the help is unionized. groocery supply centers have dedicated lumpers on the premises, who i have to pay to unload the customer's goods onto the customer's dock. they won't let me use thier equipment, because they make money from me.

i've never been anywhere that i was allowed to load or unload the truck

in america you can drive up to 80,000 pounds gross without an overweight permit, so your typical weight is around 79,000 +/-pounds. right now i drive oil field tankers and routinely carry illegal loads of up to 88,000 pounds. sometimes in the bigger trucks we load close to 97,000 pounds. you either do that or you don't have a job.