Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade your membership to Premium Membership or Gold Membership or even Benefactor

New Sponsor post
10% Off Girling at The Bonneville Shop 2/3-2/9/23
by The Bonneville Shop - 02/03/23 6:14 pm
New FAQ post
News & Announcements
Premium members! 🌟
by Morgan aka admin - 02/08/23 12:00 pm
Buy BritBike staff a coffee ☕️ or pint 🍺
by Morgan aka admin - 01/15/23 9:29 am
How to guides - Technical articles
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Member Spotlight
MikeG
MikeG
New Hampshier USA
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 90
DavidP 87
kevin 56
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kev. 32
Lannis 26
DavidP 26
Newest Members
Igloo, patrickblue, j-bud, Uneasy Rider, Mally
12,395 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,566
Posts784,685
Members12,395
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Random Gallery photo
Photo posting tutorial

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ken M. Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I have a B25 fiberglass oil tank that's missing the breather. All I have is the threaded stub the breather screws on to. The parts book doesn't show the breather as a separate piece. Does anyone know what the thread is on the that "stub" or in the alternate where I could get the part I'm describing?

Ken
Eastern Ontario

British motorcycles on eBay
Life Member
Life Member
Originally Posted by Ken M.
I have a B25 fiberglass oil tank that's missing the breather. All I have is the threaded stub the breather screws on to. The parts book doesn't show the breather as a separate piece. Does anyone know what the thread is on the that "stub" or in the alternate where I could get the part I'm describing?

Ken
Eastern Ontario

There are flats (like a nut) on the breather but I've never tried to unscrew one. I'd like to see what that looks like. Is the threaded stub hollow?

You gotta photo?

Gordon Gray in NC, USA........White man broke the code

Life Member
Life Member
Originally Posted by Gordon Gray

Ken
Eastern Ontario

There are flats (like a nut) on the breather but I've never tried to unscrew one. I'd like to see what that looks like. Is the threaded stub hollow?

You gotta photo?

I’ve probably have an oil tank around here that I could rob the breather off of……I just didn’t know they could be removed. I’ll give it a try this weekend.

Life Member
Life Member
Alright……any of you know if that breather just screws off????

Fiberglass BSA B25/44 oil tank.

Ken M. Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
The breather definitely screws off. I know that because my breather is missing.. There's a fine- threaded stub that sticks up the breather screws on to. In the parts diagram it shows the breather on the oil tank with what looks like a thin locking nut under it. Presumably the arrangement is so the breather can be directed in whatever direction you want. I've got a later steel oil tank that has the same breather but it is definitely not screwed on. It's likely been brazed in position.

Ken
Eastern Ontario

Life Member
Life Member
The breather definitely screws off. I know that because my breather is missing.. There's a fine- threaded stub that sticks up the breather screws on to. In the parts diagram it shows the breather on the oil tank with what looks like a thin locking nut under it. Presumably the arrangement is so the breather can be directed in whatever direction you want. I've got a later steel oil tank that has the same breather but it is definitely not screwed on. It's likely been brazed in position.

Ken
Eastern Ontario

Gotcha........I misread your first post and turned "stub" into "stud" in my head. Sorry.

You sir are 100% correct.......it screws off. Something I didn't know before your post and I thank you for bringing it up. Odd that there doesn't seem to be a part number for it. Looks to be part of the tank in the parts book. Those flats should have been a dead giveaway. BUT it took some force to get it started.....looks like they used a thread sealer?

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

I love the sculpted look of the fiberglass......but I've learned to like the metal fuel tanks, especially with our fuel. But both of my Roadsters and my C-25 still have the fiberglass oil tanks.

Have no clue what the text on the bottom of the tanks means........but all my Fiberglass tanks carry these type of birthmarks. Always pretty crude.

Ken......IF that one looks like it'll work for you......I'd be happy to send it to you? I'll PM you.

IMG_0249.JPG
Last edited by Gordon Gray; 01/21/23 11:55 am.

Ken M. Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Thanks very much for your exceptional offer. I'll PM you. Before using the fibreglass tank I had a look in Rupert Ratio's book on BSA singles. He seemed equally happy with either the steel or fibreglass tanks. In the case of the gas tank, definitely steel.

Ken,
Eastern Ontario

1 member likes this: Gordon Gray
Life Member
Life Member
The only problem I’ve had with the fiberglass oil tank is I had one (1) fail at that lower solid peg ( for lack of a better term). Leaked around the peg. Used a dremel to create a space around the base of the peg and filled it with epoxy. Several hundred miles later and at least a couple of years and it’s been leak free.

I tried and had someone else try sealing my fiberglass fuel tanks…..but all attempts eventually failed.

Steel or alloy is the answer……if you’re going to actually ride the bike.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Have no clue what the text on the bottom of the tanks means

No idea if its true but the workers are said to have made the fibreglass tanks at home and the marks are made by them. They were given the moulds and laid the resin and fibre up in the mould after work. Making the tank did not take long but the curing time was considerably longer so it freed up space at the factory.

Ken M. Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I was a bit concerned about the fibreglass tank but given the amount of sludge I took out of mine it had been in use for some time. Rupert Ratio mentions them in his book about BSA unit singles. He seems to think they're quite acceptable, at least based on his remarks. Certainly the fibreglass is a lot thicker than the fibreglass side panels.

Ken
Eastern Ontario

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2023 britbike.com