Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade your membership to Premium Membership or Gold Membership or even Benefactor

New Sponsor post
Triumph 650/750 High-Output Alternator Kit
by The Bonneville Shop - 01/13/23 11:29 pm
New FAQ post
Missing edit button
by wrench136 - 05/30/22 2:57 pm
News & Announcements
Premium members! 🌟
by Morgan aka admin - 01/31/23 2:14 pm
Buy BritBike staff a coffee ☕️ or pint 🍺
by Morgan aka admin - 01/15/23 9:29 am
Benefactor ✅
by Morgan aka admin - 01/08/23 8:38 pm
Gold members! ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
by Morgan aka admin - 01/03/23 6:30 pm
How to guides - Technical articles
British Fasteners Specs
by Morgan aka admin - 01/03/23 1:29 pm
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Member Spotlight
Morgan aka admin
Morgan aka admin
Sävedalen, Sweden
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 77
DavidP 74
Allan G 47
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kev. 36
Newest Members
BSA A65 rebuild, Dan Haggard, Padsdad, sam keller, Raz
12,386 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,525
Posts783,977
Members12,386
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Random Gallery photo
Photo posting tutorial

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Now that the subject has turned to pain-killers, I'll chime in:

24 years ago I required an open-heart operation to install an artificial aortic valve.
In those days, it required the surgeons to split my sternum and open my chest to get in.

After the operation, the docs prescribed powerful pain killers. I never took 'em.

I'm no "hero," I just feared possible addiction to them. As a recovered smoker, I knew how hard it can be to break an addiction.

Yes, the pain was great, but not insurmountable. Eventually it faded away.
Five months later I finally could stand up straight again. No heart problems since.

British motorcycles on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Interesting scar?

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Dibnah
Interesting scar?
Cardiac scars usually are interesting. If I ever get one it will complete the belly scar I got from exploratory surgery after the wreck. They were looking for any internal bleeding. I'm thankful that they found none. Of course, the whole thing was done quickly. They once offered to redo the incision to make the scar less ugly. I declined.
I can tell people that I got the scar in a knife fight, and you should see the other guy. laughing

"Gosh, it's not a 1/4 20, must be metric."

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"

Life member
Life member
Interesting scar?

No interesting scars here
The surgeon who decoked my 95% blocked up right carotid artery did a superb needlework job closing the 3 inch gash he made in my neck.
Five years later it is totally invisible.

BeezaBryan

He knows not where he's going, For the ocean will decide,
Its not the destination, It's the glory of the ride (Edward Monkton, Zen Dog)

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Opiates are OK for the "drifitng away" and general relaxation, but these benefits are far outweighed by the resulting constipation.......
I was in the hospital for five weeks after being burned over 17% of my body. They started me on morphine and that went on for weeks. I ate the meals but feeling no pain, didn't go #2 for at least 3 weeks. I finally mentioned the problem and the nurse gave me a dirty look but came back with a suppository. When it finally took effect, an hour of relief filled the toilet bowl half full but that wasn't the best part. You see, there was a night nurse that had been waking me up each night just to weigh me. Every night she clattered one of those tall beam scales over the spanish tile floor into my room and made me stand on the thing to record my weight. That night, after taking the mother of all dumps, I must have weighed at least 15 pounds less. She suddenly acted really confused, so sleepily, I had to explain why. I'm not so sure she believed me. Like she thought I was full of s**t.

I hear that is how Elvis Presley died. Constipation from opiod use.

1 member likes this: kevin
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Pureblood
Don't you want me to click on your much-posted link then?
Don't click on it unless want your computer to explode.
A crank posts a link that the crank says is designed to make my computer explode and the crank expects me to click on the link! Bizarre.

BitChute is an alt-right hate speech portal banned from most popular media sources .
( apparently being banned is proof of truther suppression )
A wonderful Rabbit Hole to go down , if you want to go that way

1 member likes this: rick e.
DOPE
DOPE
i probably have more experience with opioids than anybody youre likely to meet, being an ex-opium addict from the old days just post-malaya and british borneo when opium addicts were common as dirt. morphine and heroin as well.

a very different world, then and there. opium dens were local social centers like the neighbourhood pub, mahjong and dandling the new babies. some 500 of them in kuala lumpur, they said. narcotics were so cheap there was no crime aspect to any of it, and concentrations were so standardized there was no danger of overdosing unless you were stupid. no fentanyl then either.

i live in appalachia now, right in the middle of the depressed rust belt. ragged people shuffling aimlessly down the streets, gaunt women bundling their children onto the school bus from the broken sidewalks. billboards advertizing where to go for low-cost drug rehab.

big pharma screwed the people who live here, big time. and got away with it, keeping their profits. but the locals were screwed by the coal mines and steel mills before that.

did i mention the cancers from the hazardous waste incinerators? they build them here because people need any source of income they can bring in.

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
When I was admitted to hospital with a twisted colon this was my 3rd session with morphine, its then I found out instead of becoming addicted I was now resistant and the pain was not relieved by morphine at all. They had to refuse any more after the 4th dose in 8 hrs did not have any effect, eventually a Doctor came onto shift and recognised what was going on and prescribed me a drug she said was not allowed but may work, can't remember what it was but it did work and I finally drifted off to sleep.

So heroin is never going to work for me thumbsup

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Opiates can be a godsend but if you take them too much or too long they stop working and become a curse. Last March I ruined my perfect 50yr record building cabinets and furniture and got into my table saw. I can't say my fingers are all the proper length any more. Traumatic to say the least. The first thing I did was grab 6' of paper towels and make a fist. My next thought was I must Get to some morphine fast. I lost most of my fore finger and cut the sh#t
out of the next 2. I went into shock When I got to the ER and the adrenaline wore off morphine would not touch it . They kept shooting it full of lidocaine and that finally worked. I would not have liked going through the next 2 weeks. without oxycodone. I'm an old hippy so I know if one keeps taking pain killers things don't go well at all. Certain levels of pain can be life threatening . People who say they won't take anything just have not reached big enough pain level.
Took me 4 months to finish the dresser I was building. Still hurts a lot some times but I seldom take anything potent. It will pass. plus as Kommano found out It only works if you seldom take it. I can still pull my clutch lever. that's the important thing.
Drink and drugs just get in my way any more. I have enough trouble as it is remembering what I went out to my shop to get as it is.
I don't want to take stuff that make it worse.

JW

Last edited by bsawood; 11/30/22 1:33 am.
1 member likes this: Hillbilly bike
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2023 britbike.com