Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade to Premium membership HERE! Premium Membership

New Sponsor post
15% Off Black Friday Sale
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/24/22 5:51 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
Gary Caines
Gary Caines
Hiawassee, Georgia USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
kevin 56
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Bry 24
Newest Members
NDarwin, Bas classic bikes, lojo, Doug McLaren, Randy Maui
12,332 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
7 members (Snakepitt, koncretekid, KevRasen, konon, Hugh Jörgen, Steve Erickson, royaloilfield), 22 guests, and 33 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,676
Posts782,867
Members12,332
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 141 of 142 1 2 139 140 141 142
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Hugh Jörgen
You would think the copyright owner would have no objection to the material being OCR'ed into PoD format?
Au contraire, I would expect the copyright owner to have major objection. When a book is published the author (or their heirs) receives a royalty for their effort in writing the book, but if someone scanned, OCR'd and uploaded a book for PoD, that person would receive the royalties, not the author. At least, until they were sued to recover lost royalties plus the large penalty that copyright law allows for (in the U.S., civil penalties up to $150k and criminal penalties up to $250k plus 5 years imprisonment)..

Especially given how readily available scanners and printers are, many people seem to "feel" like it "should" be OK to make copies, but doing so is nothing less than stealing. While some tangible aspects of book publishing, like the printing and distribution, are easy to visualize and quantify, no less real is the intangible intellectual contribution of the author.

Originally Posted by George Kaplan
When Amazon first launched PoD I did read some reports of quality issues but I am pretty sure that these issues have now been ironed out …
I published 'The Gold Star Buyer's Companion' on CreateSpace which, although owned by Amazon, was run independently until 2018. At that time it disappeared into Amazon's Kindle. This will be my first experience dealing with Kindle's interface.

1 member likes this: kevin
British motorcycles on eBay
Online Content
"I'm not a smart man, but I know what copyright infringement is."

I meant would the owner have an objection if someone approached them and proposed a PoD version of their material.

1970 T120R - 'Anton'
1970 Commando - 'Bruno'
1967 T120R - 'Caesar'
1972 Commando - 'Big Red'
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Hugh Jörgen
"I'm not a smart man, but I know what copyright infringement is.".
Your post gave me the excuse to vent on a subject dear to me.

I know a lot about copyright, but am no means an expert. However, I know enough to know how complex it is. Often finding who actually owns the copyright on a given work is incredibly difficult. Even if the author, possibly now deceased, owned it, the rights may have passed to one of any number of relatives, and the relative who owns it might not even realize that they do. Or, the author long ago might have signed it over to the publisher, which possibly no longer exists. Following that trail to the current copyright holder could be nearly impossible.

Online Content
Your post gave me the excuse to vent on a subject dear to me.
Any time.

1970 T120R - 'Anton'
1970 Commando - 'Bruno'
1967 T120R - 'Caesar'
1972 Commando - 'Big Red'
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Until 30 years ago, copying materials for use in classes was a free-for-all, with everyone pretending such copying was "fair use" under the copyright law. However, textbook publishers sued, and won, the "Kinko's case" that ended the practice. Subsequently, the Copyright Clearance Center was established, with which many universities have agreements, which takes on the task of locating the copyright holders of whatever books, journals, or articles a professor wants to reproduce for their classes, and ensuring the necessary licensing fees are paid.

As a professor, I edited a volume of old articles and the CCC made the copyright issue completely painless. I don't know for sure, but it might be possible for an individual to engage the CCC for the purposes of reproducing an out-of-print motorcycle book, but I have no idea what that might cost.

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Although I'm still making trivial changes, I got a head start and am now knee-deep in the Amazon's (KDP) publishing site. At this point I have to decide if I want a free ISBN from them, which is what I probably should pick for a book like this that no one will buy, or $125[*] for my own ISBN (which is probably what I'll do since it offers additional flexibility in case I ever want it, which is unlikely), or $295 for ten ISBNs, in case I have nine more books in progress (I actually have four more). Decisions, decisions.

[*]update: In for a penny, in for $125, as they say. I now have the book's ISBN, so now am countless hours plus $125 in the hole with this book. A fool and his money are soon parted, as they also say...

Last edited by Magnetoman; 11/22/22 2:14 am.
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
The deed is semi-done, with the completed book now in the hands of Amazon for final quality review and approval (by that, I can only hope it means they will be judging the quality of the printing, not of the turgid prose). The site says that it can take up to 72 hours for that review.

Pricing was a difficult decision for several reasons, one of which is the fault of the Australians. To make it available there (and in Japan) I had to select the option for premium paper, which increased the printing cost for everyone (i.e. both of the potential purchasers...) by 90%. Further, royalties are paid on the list price excluding the printing cost, so doubling that fixed cost significantly cut into the amount they will pay.

Anyway, if anyone wants it, it's 265 pages and will be $60 once it's up on Amazon's site in a few days. I'll post a link to it once that happens. Although those of you who think a cup of coffee shouldn't cost more than 25 cents, or a paperback novel $1, will think $60 is an outrageous price, but it's actually cheap as book prices go, irrespective of the worth of the content. Even at that list price, I seriously doubt I'll earn enough to recover just the out-of-pocket cost of the ISBN.

Addendum: FWIW, following is a screen shot of the Table of Contents

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Magnetoman; 11/22/22 10:07 pm. Reason: Addendum:
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I was overly optimistic that the manuscript would be accepted on my first try. Since the book is thick enough to have printing on the spine, I created a cover with the title and my name, plus a small logo. Unfortunately, although the logo looked like it fit within their bounds, apparently it was a tiny bit too wide. I simply deleted it. But, the review identified a "quality" issue with one of my hand-drawn graphs which, upon looking at it, it was quite right to question. Although fixing it and one other graph I found myself was straightforward, it took the better part of two hours to fix the glitches, convert everything again to pdf (which required transferring it my laptop, with a newer version of Acrobat), upload it again, review the latest version.

Converting a long, graphics-heavy file from Word to Acrobat takes more than just a click of the mouse, since an extra line can be added or subtracted here or there by the conversion, which possibly can move an image to a different page and upset everything. Also, unfortunately, there's no guarantee the previous review identified all the potential issues, so I'm not necessarily out of the woods yet.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hard luck, MMan
Just a minute consolation --- but your travails have convinced me to definitely buy the book.
Who knows?-- it may be the start of my collection of rare manuscripts!

1 member likes this: Magnetoman
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Tridentman
Hard luck
It could be (and still might end up being) worse. Early on I saved images at 200 dpi to save space, since I had no intention at that point to use them for anything other than posts on Britbike. However, Kindle's publication guidelines call for 300 dpi so, if future reviews tag them as unacceptable, that will be a real problem (it's unclear if 200 dpi is a "suggestion," or a "rule").

I have all the originals at full resolution, but locating them individually in the folder of 2628 Ariel images, cropping, resaving at 300 dpi, and replacing the present 200 dpi images in the manuscript, would be a monumental task [N.B: I could automate some of this, but the most time-consuming part would be locating the individual images). Even though many of the 500 images already are at 300 dpi, it would require opening each one to check. If, on average, each image took 2 minutes of work, that would be 17 hours.

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
The contents passed the second screening so 'The Amazon Chronicles' is now available on Amazon.com:

The Ariel Chronicles

I don't know how long it will last, but the listing shows a 9% discount, so now is the time to stock up on all the copies you need as Christmas presents for every owner of a 1928 Ariel Model C in your family.

Outside the U.S. it might be easier to find on your local Amazon site by searching the ISBN:

979-8218113063

[Linked Image]

1 member likes this: George Kaplan
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Congratulations, MMan!
You can now sit back and enjoy your turkey dinner knowing that the proceeds of the book will be rolling in by the miilions/hundreds of thousands/tens of thousands/thousands/hundreds/tens/singles of dollars (delete category as appropriate).
Sincerely--- thank you for your efforts ---much appreciated.

2 members like this: George Kaplan, Magnetoman
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Magnetoman
Outside the U.S. it might be easier to find on your local Amazon site by searching the ISBN:

979-8218113063
Thank You MagnetoMan.

Actually its a double thank you. One for the book and one for helping me with my own Secret Santa gift.

My family (about 20 of us) stopped giving individual Christmas presents about 10 years ago and instead we have a family Secret Santa with a budget of circa £50. We quite often drop hints to my Niece who organises it as to what we might want. (I am one of the more difficult to buy for apparently)

In the UK your book is listed at £50.48. So instead of buying it now, which I would normally do, I will drop the hint to my Niece and then I will get it for Christmas.

John

P.S. I note there is a "look Inside" feature that shows the first few pages. It looks great, thanks again.

Last edited by George Kaplan; 11/24/22 4:55 pm. Reason: P.S.
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
proceeds of the book will be rolling in by the miilions/hundreds of thousands/tens of thousands/thousands/hundreds/tens/singles of dollars.

(I am one of the more difficult to buy for apparently)
I've been told that about myself.
I will get it for Christmas.
Thank you, and your niece, for that.

The time I spent writing and editing that book was with the feeling I was obligated to do it. I had generated a large amount of information that is not generally available, and felt I had to edit into a useable form even though it only would be of direct benefit to relatively few people. Blame it on my scientific background, where making a "discovery" in the laboratory would be irrelevant unless it is published so others can benefit from it.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Well done MM, the chronicles look like a fantastic read and will be useful to keep me entertained when it's too cold to venture into the garage.

I never knew it was so easy to publish a book using Amazon and you have now inspired me to document my future projects in more detail, who knows I might even publish my own book.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Once you have pdfs of the cover and content in final form, entering the required information on the Amazon/Kindle site only takes maybe 30 minutes, plus whatever additional time it takes you to flip through the pages on the proof that the site generates. Once you hit the 'accept' button for the proof, and if no issues are subsequently identified by their software, nothing more is required for the book to be automatically published and listed on Amazon.

The above means that, in principle, you can publish a book with less than an hour's effort. Of course, ignoring the time spent photographing, cropping, writing and editing…

The great thing about the advent of print-on-demand is that work now can be made available that is too highly-specialized for a mainstream publisher to even consider. For that reason I didn't even contact a publisher about my 'The Gold Star Buyer's Companion', which has significantly more potential buyers than 'The Ariel Chronicles'. Although an author could hire an outside editor to work on the text prior to publication, and an outside designer to lay out the contents, I have to assume that nearly all such books are self-edited and self-designed, as were mine. Hence, the "quality" won't be the same as a book from a mainstream publisher.

1 member likes this: chaterlea25
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
MM,

Amazing! I find it really impressive you make what ever resources, preparation and research etc needed to do the job to the highest standard - which is one thing - and then go on to find even more time and effort to document it to a high standard for others benefit too. Appreciated here.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I've ordered my copy, should be with me on Monday, looking forward to a great read and I hope your book sells really well.

Last edited by gunner; 11/25/22 8:16 am.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Congratulations MM!

I have ordered mine, which will find its way under the Christmas tree, as a gift from my daughter to me. "How did you know! You shouldn't have!"

A bit like Geo Kaplan's secret Santa, but a bit more direct.

Well done. Well done.

2 members like this: George Kaplan, Magnetoman
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Good news, MMan!
You can now start searching for that ideal holiday home in Hawaii (ask the realtor for a property featuring a 30 car garage with a small apartment attached!
The reason you can start searching?--- I have just ordered your book from Amazon-- so the royalties will begin to surge in!

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I have just ordered your book from Amazon-- so the royalties will begin to surge in!
Extrapolating the first day's orders, and correcting for the fact sales inevitably will pick up considerably as word gets out, I can now safely spend the royalties from the first year's sales that I estimate will be no less than 5000 copies.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Good Morning MM. This renewed activity on your Ariel thread got me thinking so I went back through it and, as I had thought, back on page 130 you said:

Basically, what now stands between me and a shakedown ride is me. Because of the heat, to avoid it I'll have to get myself on the road early in the morning
Not long after that the thread digressed into "The Big Project" and then after that it went off on a different tangent into a tool discussion and then back to the Ariel in book form. Unless I missed it (and I might have) I don't remember you giving it any miles after the re-rebuild.

I know that at the moment you are in the middle of "The Big House Remodel" but, given that (I assume) the weather in your area is more conducive to riding motorcycles than it was on page 130, is it possible to fit in that shakedown ride?

John

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I don't remember you giving it any miles after the re-rebuild. … is it possible to fit in that shakedown ride?
You don't not remember correctly.

My initial shakedown ride in July 2021 lasted about 50 ft., until I stopped because no oil drops were showing up in the sight glass. I put it on the stand in the garage and the next morning the problem was apparent in the form of a puddle of oil on the floor.

Although the leak could have been from either the inlet or the outlet connection of the oil feed line, I decided at that time it must be from the outlet. However, best to do another test to be sure, which I promptly did, um, nine months later...

After plugging the leak in March, one thing or another postponed the shakedown ride until it was too late, because the summer heat of 2022 had arrived. But, now that you have shamed me into remembering all of this, I probably should do something about it.

My younger daughter's family was here for Thanksgiving, and she asked me to give my son-in-law a riding lesson, which I did on the Ducati Monster. They flew back to New York yesterday, but I left the Ducati under the carport to make it easy to take for a ride this weekend. However, depending on the level of guilt I feel, and whether an errand later today takes me past a fuel station where I can pick up a couple of gallons, I may put the Ducati back in the garage and take the Ariel out instead. We'll see…

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member

My initial shakedown ride in July 2021 lasted about 50 ft.,
Hmm. I still think I remember correctly because I said.

I don't remember you giving it any miles after the re-rebuild.
I dont think 1% of a mile counts as "miles". wink

Or. Maybe we are both right. smile

.......and she asked me to give my son-in-law a riding lesson, which I did on the Ducati Monster.
Thats a bit of a contrast to my first ride which was on a 50cc Mobylette (if you can class that as a motorcycle) in the town of Pont-de-Veyle in central France when I was 14. No helmet and wearing tee shirt and shorts and not a care in the world.

I am looking forward to the shakedown.

John

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hmm. I still think I remember correctly ...
You missed an important three-letter word in what I wrote.

p.s.
Thats a bit of a contrast to my first ride which was on a 50cc Mobylette
I learned to ride on a Honda 50. My daughter (and now her husband) learned on a Ducati 900. Actually, it's easier to learn on a Honda 50 in the limited space of a driveway than it is on a Ducati 900. The gate comes up pretty fast even at idle speed, and grabbing the brake lever isn't the best solution when there are dual discs on the front wheel. Learning to ride a motorcycle like that isn't something to be done with someone who isn't experienced with a manual transmission in a car.

Last edited by Magnetoman; 11/26/22 5:33 pm. Reason: p.s.
Page 141 of 142 1 2 139 140 141 142

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com