Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade your membership to Premium Membership or Gold Membership or even Benefactor

New Sponsor post
Triumph 650/750 High-Output Alternator Kit
by The Bonneville Shop - 01/13/23 11:29 pm
New FAQ post
Missing edit button
by wrench136 - 05/30/22 2:57 pm
News & Announcements
Premium members! 🌟
by Morgan aka admin - 01/31/23 2:14 pm
Buy BritBike staff a coffee ☕️ or pint 🍺
by Morgan aka admin - 01/15/23 9:29 am
Benefactor ✅
by Morgan aka admin - 01/08/23 8:38 pm
Gold members! ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
by Morgan aka admin - 01/03/23 6:30 pm
How to guides - Technical articles
British Fasteners Specs
by Morgan aka admin - 01/03/23 1:29 pm
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Member Spotlight
Morgan aka admin
Morgan aka admin
Sävedalen, Sweden
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 77
DavidP 74
Allan G 47
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kev. 36
Newest Members
BSA A65 rebuild, Dan Haggard, Padsdad, sam keller, Raz
12,386 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,525
Posts783,977
Members12,386
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Random Gallery photo
Photo posting tutorial

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I think he means the other end, visible via the oil filler plug near the kickstart.

If anything other than a blank space is visible here, something's wrong.
Triumphs on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi, I was referring to the kick start nut on right end of main shaft.

Very common for this nut to come loose. The locking tab washer usury keeps nut from backing off, but vibration or something wears through tab & nut actually backs off.
This allows main shaft to move left leaving play in rod. Owner adjusts rod. Nut backs off more, things go bad fast from this point.

As was suggested Loctite is good plan on this nut. Even if lock tabs keep nut from unscrewing, when it comes loose the sleeve under kicker ratchet gear, starts spinning & wears end of sleeve & washer next to bearing.

Pretty much every trans I’ve seen the nut is finger tight or looser. If not for lock tab I expect most nuts would just unscrew.
Don

1973 Tiger 750
Born To Run
OP Offline
Born To Run
Hillbilly's comment made me laugh!

'preciate all the comments and facts and figures. There is no discernible wear on the rod ends or the rod itself. I've put a torch through the bore on the mainshaft, nothing there, so.....

back in it goes. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Cheers,

Steve

p.s. Blue loctite on the mainshaft nut on the gearbox side is a "must have" on the OIF bikes.

'77 T140J Silver Jubilee
'82 T140LE TMA Royal
‘69 BSA Rocket 3 (patiently awaiting it's turn)
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
In the past I used thread locker on that nut then along the years I needed to dismantle stuff and I did not put again.
I did not have any loose on that nut in a pre unit and in later T140 with the lock washer.
Do not know how do you guys have trouble with that one; the clutch nut is more problematic, I think. I used thread locker there but not in the last rebuilds.
After 13000km in a year and a half before the crank had the fissure, nothing loose. All at road speeds of 115-130km/h for 2-3 hours so may be I had luck with that gbox nut or may be my conservative way to use the clutch or that 95% of the riding and commuting is on the road/freeway (not too much pulling of the clutch) not into a city could be the reasons
Even the cranks nut could be more problematic.

DOPE
DOPE
if youre at a stop the clutch pushrod does not rotate relative to the pressure plate

but i have tried to pull in the clutch after a dyno run rather than let the dyno motor the engine, and i welded both ends of the pushrod to their contacts

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
2 members like this: pidjones, JubeePrince
Slow and old
Slow and old
Many of the Hondas that I've seen apart had the ball - sometimes one on each end of the rod. The Japanese are not ones to add unnecessary parts.

"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
pijones has a Britbike again
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by TR7RVMan
Hi David, Easy to remove screw & pull rod with skinny magnet & measure.

But we’re talking a lot of threads here….

The tip of your screw isn’t broken off is it?

What pressure plate are you using? Triumph steel or alloy?

Exactly what plates are you using?

Don
The screw was new as of a few years ago, adjustment was the same when new.
The pressure plate is alloy made by AlloyTec. No special bearing in the center.
The steel plates are just the flattest ones I could find out of my collection. I used the old trick of rubbing them on the concrete floor.
The plates are the good ones sold by The Bonneville shop, don't know who makes them but similar to the ones sold by MAP.

I never measured the push rod. But when I bought the bike PO had the clutch springs WAY too tight.

"Gosh, it's not a 1/4 20, must be metric."

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi DavidP, I'm not familiar with Alloy-Tech plate. Curious as to how it measures on outside diameter. Also the height of outside of plate when sitting on flat surface. Is it taller than the steel plate?

I can make hardened screw if you really need one. I would need to know the exact overall length you'd need. I'm guessing from eBay photos thread is normal 3/8-24?

All the new rods I've seen are the 650 length as listed in shop manual. The 750 manual listed same length as 650, but factory apparently shortened them clandestinely.
Don

1973 Tiger 750
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2023 britbike.com