Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade to Premium membership HERE! Premium Membership

New Sponsor post
15% Off Black Friday Sale
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/24/22 5:51 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
Richard Phillips
Richard Phillips
San Luis Obispo, CA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
kevin 56
Mark Z 51
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Bry 25
Newest Members
Doug McLaren, Randy Maui, T Lucas, Sloperjack, Manifold
12,329 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 13 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,664
Posts782,705
Members12,329
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#895244 11/12/22 10:43 pm
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
[Linked Image]

I think this type of metal tank center mounting is a thing of beauty. 9 different pieces.

Just saying

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 11/13/22 12:58 am.

Gordon Gray in NC, USA........White man broke the code

2 members like this: Bob E, D.Bachtel
BSA on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
8 pieces? Don't see them (but then I've never used one of these fashionable road-apple devices)... could you show how it all works?

1 member likes this: Gordon Gray
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Gordon: I am with you on this one. It is very clever without being too heavy and it isolates the tank quite well from the frame.

Gordo

The roadside repairs make for the best post ride stories.
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Originally Posted by Steve Erickson
8 pieces? Don't see them (but then I've never used one of these fashionable road-apple devices)... could you show how it all works?

Steve.......I'm as sharp as a tack... blush...Sorry, there are 9 different pieces.

[Linked Image]

The cap has three pieces. Cap, bushing (rubber) and spacer.

[Linked Image]

It's a bit of a bugger to get all three to cooperate.......so I didn't take it apart. If someone wants pics of those three separately, I can do that ( if someone else doesn't post one first)

[Linked Image]

I forgot to count the washer on the nut.... it's a special bit that fits the shouldered nut.

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 11/13/22 1:26 am.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Tres chic. It certainly is pretty classy...

How many engineer/designers muddle-forked over this, while happily continuing to give us those miserable 68 footpeg mounts for 69?

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I've never been able to make this work with that spacer over or under the big rubber O-ring; with the spacer in there, the fore and aft trim pieces don't fit right in the cup. Everything seems to fit fine without the spacer, and the ends stopped breaking off the trim pieces.

Also, it's important that the nut tightens against the sleeve and pins the sleeve to the frame. This should not be a problem if you have all the correct parts (including the correct rubbers under the tank). If the sleeve is too short, the cup will be stressed and will break away from the chrome ring.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
2007 Triumph Bonneville Black
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
and that my friend. is an indicator of the downfall of Brit bike dominance. too many parts to do a simple job

DOPE
DOPE
mine broke 44 years ago and a friend brazed it for me. its been fine ever since.

didnt have the ring over thr doughnut when i bought it and i never knew they existed until now

mine doesnt bottom out, or at least ive never tightened it until it did. maybe thats why it works.

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
I tried taking a photo of a damaged cup but just couldn't get the details. Basically it had been ripped apart. Someone probably left the spacer out having no idea what it's purpose was.

Mitch makes a valid point. But there's just something about this one I admire.

I've seen several kinds of bodges. Some were crude but worked and others given enough riding time.....could cause the tank to fail.

Mark........I've never used the trim (yet). Never had any that was worth showing off. I have a tank that I would love to add trim to but have no idea what it came off. I'm 99% sure it wasn't a unit single. I'll post a pic of it and maybe someone can tell?? It's the metal "sculpted" tank....one of the larger ones ( not exactly sure how much fuel it holds) with a filler cap I'm not familiar with. The tunnel is much wider on this tank. I had to add 1/4" of material to each side of the frame bumpers for it to fit a unit single's frame (BSA). The stock unit single metal tank rubbers seem to fit fine.

Since I'm rambling on about tanks.....I was having Tab Classics make me a tank......turns out Mark Purslow was one of the fabricators that worked in the shop. He died at this years IOM TT. Sad to loose someone that unexpectedly. I understand it's a small shop and it has been tough on them ....but they are bouncing back. Good on em.

to be continued

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 11/16/22 11:33 pm.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I like the solution, but have constant problem with threaded part sticking up to much above the nut, preventing rubber cover to seat comfortably in it's place.. Perhaps should use some washers under the spacer to rise all the assembly a bit?
But my tank is home market 4 gallon for a twin

Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Originally Posted by Adam M.
........But my tank is home market 4 gallon for a twin

Wouldn't happen to have a photo of it you could share?

The bolt length won't change with adding washers under the spacer......just where the nut stops.??????? That's a question as much as a statement.

My tank I'm trying to ID....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

I have the small and larger 69 unit single sculpted steel tanks on the shelf. All I can say is this tank is bigger. I got bad habit of not liking to run out of gas so I keep it filled up. Last trip I was getting nervous as I was getting close to 200 miles so I chickened out and gassed up. So I've never reached reserve. ( I've run on reserve for a bit just to be sure it's still working). Bike gets almost 70mpg.

I don't recognize the filler cap.......anybody?

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 11/16/22 11:02 pm.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
*NOTE: Gordon, I posted the following before seeing the above photos.*

"I tried taking a photo of a damaged cup but just couldn't get the details. Basically it had been ripped apart. Someone probably left the spacer out having no idea what it's purpose was."

By "spacer", I assume you mean the sleeve that goes over the bolt. Been there, tried DYI solutions and ruined a couple of cups before biting the bullet and sourcing the correct parts. By the way, that extra washer goes at the bottom of the sleeve, and is important to make up the correct length.

"I have a tank that I would love to add trim to but have no idea what it came off. I'm 99% sure it wasn't a unit single."

What bike are you using this on? If the tank doesn't have a ridge down the center, it will not accommodate the trim strips. My knowledge is confined to '67 twin cyl. chrome tank. Without trim strips, I would think the cup with the "spigots" fore and aft would look odd. Tanks without chrome trim had a different sort of mount, some where the rubber plug pushes directly into the tank.

Commentary: With all the mounts "correct" (including having a proper bushing in the bottom "strap"), I've ridden for many years without breaking anything. HOWEVER... Even though I have the proper molded rubber behind the tank badges, and even though I used rubber O-rings under the heads of the single mounting screws, I'm starting to see a small spider crack around the screw on one side. Lovely as the Lucite badges are, I guess I understand why BSA went to the die-cast badges.

Last edited by Mark Z; 11/13/22 7:01 pm.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Gordon, could that be a '69 A65 FS home market tank? Monza filler caps were used on later A65 chrome tanks, but over to the side.

I don't think that center trim piece is correct for that tank.

Mark Z

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Mark Z
Gordon, could that be a '69 A65 FS home market tank? Monza filler caps were used on later A65 chrome tanks, but over to the side.

I just looked at photos of '69 Firebird Scramblers, and the tanks look like the one in your photo - trim strip rear only, Monza cap in center. I can't see the tops of the tanks, but I would bet there's only one "spigot" on that center trim piece.

Mark Z

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member

I just looked at photos of '69 Firebird Scramblers, and the tanks look like the one in your photo - trim strip rear only, Monza cap in center. I can't see the tops of the tanks, but I would bet there's only one "spigot" on that center trim piece.

I was wrong; I finally found a photo of the top of a tank; the center chrome piece has two spigots, fore and aft, just like my '67 chrome tank. The FS in question is listed as a "concourse restoration", so I have to believe it's correct.

By the way, I was able to source the trim strips for my '67 tank, either from British Cycle Supply or Walridge Motors. That was a while ago though, and I don't know if the '69 FS bit is the same.

Mark Z

Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Road apples.... laughing

I just got through doing something I should have done a LONG time ago.....I've been going on a quick measurement across the bottom of the tank.

I convinced myself that my mystery tank was MUCH bigger that the one on my other B44R. Measuring it this way it is only 1/8" wider than my sidecar tug's tank. I wonder if the color scheme gave off an illusion (to me) of being larger than it actually is?

Here's the tank off my sidecar tug......thought to have come off a 69 B25

[Linked Image]

Measures at the widest part of the tank.....which is not the bottom.....12 1/8"

Here's what is thought to be a 1969 B25 tank

[Linked Image]

Measuring .....12 1/4"

Here's one of the larger sculpted metal tanks

[Linked Image]

Measuring 13 1/4"

My mystery tank measures the same as the B25. So it is only 1/8" wider than the other tank I've spent time behind......with a different color scheme??? Keep in mind these are replacing the stock (for me) fiberglass tanks that are only 11"+- wide.

SO......the B25 trim might work....I got one of those to try. ONLY real mystery is that filler cap.......is it an aftermarket item or was it part of a particular model?????

Yep.........went though all of that but didn't get a photo of the mystery tank getting measured......you know what it looks like though.

PLUS..........the sidecar rig doesn't get gas mileage like the bike the mystery tank is on.......that bike has high gearing (19/47) and gets close to 70mpg. Sidecar tug's gearing is much lower......gas stops are a lot closer.

Excuses, excuses, excuses............

PS....I didn't take any other measurements this time around. Maybe later, tunnel width, overall length and height? To see if there's any other differences.

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 11/16/22 11:03 pm.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Gordon, the red and white paint scheme also suggests a '69-'70 Firebird Scrambler home market tank. Didn't you say the channel is wider than your B25 tank?

The filler cap looks stock. Later A65 chrome tanks ('69, '70, not sure about '68) had flip up caps like that.

Mark Z

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Gordon, the red and white paint scheme also suggests a '69-'70 Firebird Scrambler home market tank. Didn't you say the channel is wider than your B25 tank?

The filler cap looks stock. Later A65 chrome tanks ('69, '70, not sure about '68) had flip up caps like that.

Firebirds have been seen all red with knee grips and also with chrome panels from original (I had one with the chromed panels also). The channels should be same for A65 and B series. they are quite wide even compared to some of the A65 tanks and have rubber mounts to suit.

The last tank in primer is a 70 A65 Lightning tank. - that should have chromed panels also.

The cap is identical to one Gary E has on one of his 67 or 68 off road A series bikes? (Im sure he will chime in?), the commonly used cap had a square button and was probably easier to press with a gloved finger. the type pictured was often used on some cars - so I beleive.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Okay the mystery tank is a repaint but looking at the bottom it “could” be copying the paint job under it?

I need to do some more measuring and post a photo of the two tanks I use on my Roadsters to see if someone else is fooled by the color scheme????

I’m probably not going to check the capacity because it’s just not something I want to do right now. I have too many other things to take care of. But at least for the pictured tanks I will take more measurements (I have more tanks but I think these are a good sample)

Mark……since the mystery tank is the same width as the B25….that kinda throws a wrench in things. That tank is actually referred to as the “small” tank in the unit single world. I’ll report back with more comparisons between the 4 I have handy.

Thank you guys for the replies

PS, I’m no Twins/Triples man so I don’t recognize that filler cap…..but I’m happy to hear it’s a common BSA bit?

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 11/14/22 1:08 pm.

Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
*NOTE: Gordon, I posted the following before seeing the above photos.*

"I tried taking a photo of a damaged cup but just couldn't get the details. Basically it had been ripped apart. Someone probably left the spacer out having no idea what it's purpose was."

By "spacer", I assume you mean the sleeve that goes over the bolt. Been there, tried DYI solutions and ruined a couple of cups before biting the bullet and sourcing the correct parts. By the way, that extra washer goes at the bottom of the sleeve, and is important to make up the correct length.

Commentary: With all the mounts "correct" (including having a proper bushing in the bottom "strap"), I've ridden for many years without breaking anything. HOWEVER... Even though I have the proper molded rubber behind the tank badges, and even though I used rubber O-rings under the heads of the single mounting screws, I'm starting to see a small spider crack around the screw on one side. Lovely as the Lucite badges are, I guess I understand why BSA went to the die-cast badges.

Mark……I agree 100% with you about using the correct parts. Yes the “spacer” I’m referring too is the one that goes into the buffer and the bolt passes through it. It’s an important part IMO. But it’s something that I’ve seen left out or replaced with something completely different. IMO you need the correct bits for it to work as designed. Which probably doesn’t matter for a bike that will only see a dozen miles a year.

The single screw plastic badge (teardrop) is my favorite……but reproductions are not nearly as nice as original. I made the mistake of picking up a set of made in India badges in black and gold……parts of the gold disappeared after a month or do. I got no clue where it went…..musta dissolved???? It was more of a cheap yellow brass color anyway. I’ve never been a fan of the larger 2 hole metal badge……..but I’m stuck with using them.

Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Didn't you say the channel is wider than your B25 tank?

Mark……I haven’t actually measured the tunnels/channels (but I will) I have 3 different tank buffers…..with three different thicknesses. I had to add material to the ones on the mystery tanks frame. I’m thinking the buffers on there were the middle width buffers?

So in my muddled mind that made me think the tunnel was wider. My guess is……all the tunnels could be the same.

I go back to a time when someone off the board had emailed me that there were actually 4-5 different versions of the scalloped tank and he in fact had an example of all of them. I wish we’d had done more sharing back then and had photos and measurements of his collection. I’m not sure that my 1/8” difference in width is an actual different tank or just a manufacturing tolerance?

But I’m on a roll so I’ll measure up the ones I have here.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT……..when trying to fit a new choke (air) cable and you are focused on how it runs from the lever around the speedo and through the triple…..keep in mind it has a metal wire running through it and it “could” touch the positive side of the battery. IF it does….even though you’re holding the outer sheath it WILL still get hot. The section that gets super heated is going to end up inside the carb. IF that section of the cable fails……the air valve closes and you will have no choice but to pull the carb top to get at it…..which in my case means seat and tank must come off.

For Sale……brand new, never used choke cable. Pay no attention to the discoloration at one end. Thought to have come from the Steve McQueen collection. $200 plus shipping and handling.

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 11/16/22 11:05 pm.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Anyone have a screwdriver "from the Steve McQueen collection", for less than $1,000 bucks?

Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Lazy day at work yesterday and that carried over at home. So I didn’t take any photos or measurements. I’ll try to do better tonight.

Irish Swede……sir, I’ll look but think all my Steve McQueen Collection screwdrivers are WAY over $1000. I have one that the guy I got it from used to be neighbors to a fellow who’s cousin used to deliver pizza to a shop next door to Mr McQueen’s. He swears this screwdriver was Mr McQueen’s personal off road screwdriver and he would never leave home without it. I could be talked out if it but it’s gona cost $$$$. BUT….if you’re interested I have THE valve core out of the front tire of the bike that made the famous jump……got outbid on the rear’s core. $800 plus shipping and handling. Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery.

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 11/15/22 12:07 pm.

Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
One on the right comes off my sidecar tug. One on the left (aka the mystery tank) is off my road bike. Both are 1967 B44R Roadsters. They have never shared a tank. I would have bet the one on the road bike was bigger. But I was wrong.

Better gas mileage, not paying attention to which tank buffers I was using.....I got excuses but in the end I was still wrong. Both of these look BIG compared to the stock fiberglass tank.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There are differences in measurements, as much as a 1/2" in places. But I'm going to write that off as manufacturing tolerances?

They're the same tank with slightly different filler caps. I'd still like to know what the road bike's tank came off of.

IMG_0175.JPG

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
They are both A 65 Fire bird tanks
The B44 tank does not have 2 carb cut aways underneath cos it aint got 2 carbs
Very common to find them on B44 roadsters because the std tank is just too small for any serious trip .
Riding is no fun if you are consistantly looking for a fuel station .

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Gordon, i appreciate your reply to the "Steve McQueen screwdriver" joke.

It's like the "original George Washington hatchet," the one that the head was replaced three times and the handle replace five.
The prices are similar to the ones the EBAY seller from Appleton, Wisconsin, puts on any common small part he attempts to sell on that site.

I am no expert on BSA gas tanks, but if one is a bit wider than the other, and both properly fit, I'd choose the wider one, just for the extra gas capacity..

Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Originally Posted by BSA_WM20
Very common to find them on B44 roadsters because the std tank is just too small for any serious trip .

I’m going to roll that stock 1969 B25 over and take a photo of it tonight……I’m also going to take the road bike’s tank to the gas station this weekend and fill it up. I “think” it’s going to be 3 gallons (US)……but this time it’s not going to be a guess like it has been in the past for me.

You’re 100% correct about the Fiberglass stock tanks. 100-125 miles and you better be looking for a station.

to be continued

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 11/16/22 12:22 pm.

Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Originally Posted by Irish Swede
Gordon, i appreciate your reply to the "Steve McQueen screwdriver" joke.

It's like the "original George Washington hatchet," the one that the head was replaced three times and the handle replace five.
The prices are similar to the ones the EBAY seller from Appleton, Wisconsin, puts on any common small part he attempts to sell on that site.

I am no expert on BSA gas tanks, but if one is a bit wider than the other, and both properly fit, I'd choose the wider one, just for the extra gas capacity..

DAMNIT………it was a Joke???? 😂

I guess that guy with jacked up prices gets someone to pay his price enough times he keeps doing it????

This isn’t a search for the right tank. Both have homes. I’m pretty sure they are both going to be around 3 gallons ( I’ll know this weekend).

There were at least a couple of differences in measurements. Tunnel width front and back were exactly the same ( not MM exactly, but close enough) but the length was 1/2” different. ( measured at the top of the tunnel from the trim bead to the center of the headstock cut out on the underside of the tank/tunnel) Another shock for me because the sidecar tug’s tank was the longer one????? ( I would have bet the road bike’s was bigger) But…..if you measured around the tank at the widest part the road bike was 1/2” bigger around.

What I need to do is have the “larger” sculpted (the one pictured in grey primer) tank painted and use it for the sidecar rig. The extra capacity would even out the rigs lower gearing? Down side……the painter I’ve asked to help me over the years has retired from painting (he actually primed that tank) and the other one I know passed away last year. Sucks

Mr Swede……do you recognize that filler cap on the mystery tank? ( aka road bike)
I’m wondering if BSA put it on there or another DPO?

PS. I’m recording my measurements so I’ll have them saved.

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 11/16/22 11:06 pm.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by BSA_WM20

I have yet to see one of these tanks without the cutaways for 2 carbs. Im sure theres also a lot more B25/B44 bikes than 1969/70 FS's

The one I fitted to my lightning as mentioned above was 2.25 British Gallons (I think thats about 2.75 US Gallons), The 70 Lightning tank i beleive is somewhere between 3-3.5 British Gallons, my Father has one for his bike but we have never been filled it up.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Allan…..I don’t like running out of gas so I usually refill before I go on reserve, So I’ve never known for sure the capacity of these or the fiberglass tank. BUT since I have a chance and the only trouble will be draining the tank after the fill up….I’m going to know for sure what the capacity of the ( at least this one) “small” sculpted tank is.

I’m not going to say anything about the cutaways just yet. I’ll let a photo speak for itself. UNLESS you purchased a bike new AND knew the dealer didn’t swap/paint any parts you can NEVER be 100% sure how your bike or parts left the factory. I’ve told this story several times over the years…..there was a dealer in Southern California who would re-paint new Victor Special tanks. So there is someone out there that could swear his/her brand new VS came with a red/chrome paint job…..and they are correct. It just didn’t come from the factory like that?

I have what I believe to be a stock 1969 B25 tank still in stock colors. (pictured above) I will never be 100% sure that’s what it is but maybe once I post a photo of the bottom some other 69 B25 owners could chime in. 1969/70 B44SS too?

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 11/16/22 11:40 pm.

Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
First off.....I had to go back and replace SCALLOPED with the correct term SCULPTED. I wish I could blame spell check... blush. I needed to change that.....not only in an attempt to help me look less lame but somewhere down the road someone might actually read this looking for information.

Second.....I have the greatest respect for BSA_WM20 and follow his postings.....I'm not trying to prove him wrong BUT I have to agree with Allan, all the 1969 B25 tanks I've seen had the double cutaways. I'm "pretty" sure the larger tank used on the 69 and 70 B44SS had them too. Peter Quick of BSA Unit Singles has some NOS 1969 B25 tanks and I've emailed him asking if those have the cutaways.

Here's what I'm 99% sure is the bottom of a 1969 BSA B25 tank. This is the tank pictured earlier on the thread.

[Linked Image]

I've had 3-4 of these and all of mine had the cutaways. Does that prove anything?.........not really.

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 11/16/22 11:43 pm.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I've heard that the two cut-aways at the bottom rear of the tank were to clear fuel lines on the twins.

But is it possible they are actually there to clear the rear downward frame tubes where they branch off from the top main frame tube?

Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Originally Posted by Irish Swede
I've heard that the two cut-aways at the bottom rear of the tank were to clear fuel lines on the twins.

But is it possible they are actually there to clear the rear downward frame tubes where they branch off from the top main frame tube?

I wish I knew enough about bikes I don't own to have thought of that......but no sir, the cut-a-ways don't go that far back.

[Linked Image]

What would be nice is a photo of one that doesn't have the cut-a-ways and a photo of what the cut-a-ways are for on the twin???? That should be an easy one.....plenty of A65 owners out there.

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 11/17/22 1:10 am.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Been a long time since I laid a spanner on one but from memory ( always risky ) the twin tank has an equal cut out on both side of the tank to clear the head & the fuel taps splay out
Singles have the head cut out mostly on one side with the fuel taps further forward and vertical .
A65 tanks fit nicey on B44's with thicker rubbers but B44 tanks will not fit well on A65's as they have to be mounted higher off the engine.
Small tanks high above the engine seems to be a popular USA thing as a lot of the US imported A65's seem to have single tanks fitted to them.
The cut aways allow for a smooth curve of the throttle cable
Without them the cable would need a right angle end on the adjuster

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Trevor.......the throttle cable routing seems right.

I don't think Peter Quick at BSA Unit Singles ( your go to man for BSA unit single parts) will mind me posting his answer to my question about his NOS 1969 BSA B25 tanks having the cut-a-ways

"Hi Gordon,

Yes all the B25 / B44 steel tanks that you mention (1969-1970) have both cut outs on the under side. At least all of the ones I have seen. For BSA it was always about cost savings.

Peter
"

Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
My road bike's tank, the sculpted tank with the Presto 75, Flip Top Filler Cap w/Tear Drop Lever ( thank you again L.A.B. thumbsup ) holds 3.10 US Gallons.

[Linked Image]

I drained it completely and filled it completely. I probably filled it just a little more than I would if I was on the road. So my 1969 B25 tank and the other 12" sculpted tanks I have are 3 US Gallon Tanks.

Confirms what Rupert's says about them. Since he got that right he's probably right about the 13 1/4" sculpted tank (69 BSA B44 and others) holding 3.9 US gallons. If I mount one of those on my road B44R.......with it's high gearing. I should get 200 miles between fill ups with plenty still in the tank for reserve. OR.......on the rig???? Might need another larger tank. I'd love to have one of the chromed twin's version....anyone?

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 11/20/22 1:38 pm.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Gordon non-ethanol is $4.79 a gallon here in Gasolovakia

1972 Triumph T120
1968 BSA A65
1968 MGB Roadster
1979 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta
1969 Honda Mini Trail
2004 Honda Shadow Aero
1949 Ferguson TE20 tractor
1975 yamaha xs650b
1971 SL 175 Honda project
2 olive drab WWII military bicycle replicas
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Originally Posted by raf940
Gordon non-ethanol is $4.79 a gallon here in Gasolovakia

It's pretty much the same here. That fill up was 93 ethanol. The tank will be drained and that fuel used in the lawn tractor, chainsaws, backpack blower and other garden/yard gas powered tools....or the Honda RS.....they're about the same.

They've got to calling the non-ethanol "race fuel" around here........I guess because they have the NASCAR track (North Wilkesboro) back open and "race" sounds cool......runs around $5 a gallon. I try to use non as much as I can in the bikes but if you're far enough from home it can't be helped sometimes.

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 11/20/22 1:17 pm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com