Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade to Premium membership HERE! Premium Membership

New Sponsor post
15% Off Black Friday Sale
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/24/22 5:51 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
Richard Phillips
Richard Phillips
San Luis Obispo, CA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
kevin 56
Mark Z 51
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Bry 25
Newest Members
Doug McLaren, Randy Maui, T Lucas, Sloperjack, Manifold
12,329 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (L.A.B., Mirko), 8 guests, and 31 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,664
Posts782,705
Members12,329
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Gordon, i appreciate your reply to the "Steve McQueen screwdriver" joke.

It's like the "original George Washington hatchet," the one that the head was replaced three times and the handle replace five.
The prices are similar to the ones the EBAY seller from Appleton, Wisconsin, puts on any common small part he attempts to sell on that site.

I am no expert on BSA gas tanks, but if one is a bit wider than the other, and both properly fit, I'd choose the wider one, just for the extra gas capacity..

1 member likes this: Gordon Gray
BSA on eBay
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Originally Posted by BSA_WM20
They are both A 65 Fire bird tanks
The B44 tank does not have 2 carb cut aways underneath cos it aint got 2 carbs
Very common to find them on B44 roadsters because the std tank is just too small for any serious trip .
Riding is no fun if you are consistantly looking for a fuel station .

I’m going to roll that stock 1969 B25 over and take a photo of it tonight……I’m also going to take the road bike’s tank to the gas station this weekend and fill it up. I “think” it’s going to be 3 gallons (US)……but this time it’s not going to be a guess like it has been in the past for me.

You’re 100% correct about the Fiberglass stock tanks. 100-125 miles and you better be looking for a station.

to be continued

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 11/16/22 12:22 pm.

Gordon Gray in NC, USA........White man broke the code

Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Originally Posted by Irish Swede
Gordon, i appreciate your reply to the "Steve McQueen screwdriver" joke.

It's like the "original George Washington hatchet," the one that the head was replaced three times and the handle replace five.
The prices are similar to the ones the EBAY seller from Appleton, Wisconsin, puts on any common small part he attempts to sell on that site.

I am no expert on BSA gas tanks, but if one is a bit wider than the other, and both properly fit, I'd choose the wider one, just for the extra gas capacity..

DAMNIT………it was a Joke???? 😂

I guess that guy with jacked up prices gets someone to pay his price enough times he keeps doing it????

This isn’t a search for the right tank. Both have homes. I’m pretty sure they are both going to be around 3 gallons ( I’ll know this weekend).

There were at least a couple of differences in measurements. Tunnel width front and back were exactly the same ( not MM exactly, but close enough) but the length was 1/2” different. ( measured at the top of the tunnel from the trim bead to the center of the headstock cut out on the underside of the tank/tunnel) Another shock for me because the sidecar tug’s tank was the longer one????? ( I would have bet the road bike’s was bigger) But…..if you measured around the tank at the widest part the road bike was 1/2” bigger around.

What I need to do is have the “larger” sculpted (the one pictured in grey primer) tank painted and use it for the sidecar rig. The extra capacity would even out the rigs lower gearing? Down side……the painter I’ve asked to help me over the years has retired from painting (he actually primed that tank) and the other one I know passed away last year. Sucks

Mr Swede……do you recognize that filler cap on the mystery tank? ( aka road bike)
I’m wondering if BSA put it on there or another DPO?

PS. I’m recording my measurements so I’ll have them saved.

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 11/16/22 11:06 pm.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by BSA_WM20
They are both A 65 Fire bird tanks
The B44 tank does not have 2 carb cut aways underneath cos it aint got 2 carbs
Very common to find them on B44 roadsters because the std tank is just too small for any serious trip .
Riding is no fun if you are consistantly looking for a fuel station .

I have yet to see one of these tanks without the cutaways for 2 carbs. Im sure theres also a lot more B25/B44 bikes than 1969/70 FS's

The one I fitted to my lightning as mentioned above was 2.25 British Gallons (I think thats about 2.75 US Gallons), The 70 Lightning tank i beleive is somewhere between 3-3.5 British Gallons, my Father has one for his bike but we have never been filled it up.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Allan…..I don’t like running out of gas so I usually refill before I go on reserve, So I’ve never known for sure the capacity of these or the fiberglass tank. BUT since I have a chance and the only trouble will be draining the tank after the fill up….I’m going to know for sure what the capacity of the ( at least this one) “small” sculpted tank is.

I’m not going to say anything about the cutaways just yet. I’ll let a photo speak for itself. UNLESS you purchased a bike new AND knew the dealer didn’t swap/paint any parts you can NEVER be 100% sure how your bike or parts left the factory. I’ve told this story several times over the years…..there was a dealer in Southern California who would re-paint new Victor Special tanks. So there is someone out there that could swear his/her brand new VS came with a red/chrome paint job…..and they are correct. It just didn’t come from the factory like that?

I have what I believe to be a stock 1969 B25 tank still in stock colors. (pictured above) I will never be 100% sure that’s what it is but maybe once I post a photo of the bottom some other 69 B25 owners could chime in. 1969/70 B44SS too?

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 11/16/22 11:40 pm.

Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
First off.....I had to go back and replace SCALLOPED with the correct term SCULPTED. I wish I could blame spell check... blush. I needed to change that.....not only in an attempt to help me look less lame but somewhere down the road someone might actually read this looking for information.

Second.....I have the greatest respect for BSA_WM20 and follow his postings.....I'm not trying to prove him wrong BUT I have to agree with Allan, all the 1969 B25 tanks I've seen had the double cutaways. I'm "pretty" sure the larger tank used on the 69 and 70 B44SS had them too. Peter Quick of BSA Unit Singles has some NOS 1969 B25 tanks and I've emailed him asking if those have the cutaways.

Here's what I'm 99% sure is the bottom of a 1969 BSA B25 tank. This is the tank pictured earlier on the thread.

[Linked Image]

I've had 3-4 of these and all of mine had the cutaways. Does that prove anything?.........not really.

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 11/16/22 11:43 pm.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I've heard that the two cut-aways at the bottom rear of the tank were to clear fuel lines on the twins.

But is it possible they are actually there to clear the rear downward frame tubes where they branch off from the top main frame tube?

Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Originally Posted by Irish Swede
I've heard that the two cut-aways at the bottom rear of the tank were to clear fuel lines on the twins.

But is it possible they are actually there to clear the rear downward frame tubes where they branch off from the top main frame tube?

I wish I knew enough about bikes I don't own to have thought of that......but no sir, the cut-a-ways don't go that far back.

[Linked Image]

What would be nice is a photo of one that doesn't have the cut-a-ways and a photo of what the cut-a-ways are for on the twin???? That should be an easy one.....plenty of A65 owners out there.

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 11/17/22 1:10 am.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Been a long time since I laid a spanner on one but from memory ( always risky ) the twin tank has an equal cut out on both side of the tank to clear the head & the fuel taps splay out
Singles have the head cut out mostly on one side with the fuel taps further forward and vertical .
A65 tanks fit nicey on B44's with thicker rubbers but B44 tanks will not fit well on A65's as they have to be mounted higher off the engine.
Small tanks high above the engine seems to be a popular USA thing as a lot of the US imported A65's seem to have single tanks fitted to them.
The cut aways allow for a smooth curve of the throttle cable
Without them the cable would need a right angle end on the adjuster

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Trevor.......the throttle cable routing seems right.

I don't think Peter Quick at BSA Unit Singles ( your go to man for BSA unit single parts) will mind me posting his answer to my question about his NOS 1969 BSA B25 tanks having the cut-a-ways

"Hi Gordon,

Yes all the B25 / B44 steel tanks that you mention (1969-1970) have both cut outs on the under side. At least all of the ones I have seen. For BSA it was always about cost savings.

Peter
"

Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
My road bike's tank, the sculpted tank with the Presto 75, Flip Top Filler Cap w/Tear Drop Lever ( thank you again L.A.B. thumbsup ) holds 3.10 US Gallons.

[Linked Image]

I drained it completely and filled it completely. I probably filled it just a little more than I would if I was on the road. So my 1969 B25 tank and the other 12" sculpted tanks I have are 3 US Gallon Tanks.

Confirms what Rupert's says about them. Since he got that right he's probably right about the 13 1/4" sculpted tank (69 BSA B44 and others) holding 3.9 US gallons. If I mount one of those on my road B44R.......with it's high gearing. I should get 200 miles between fill ups with plenty still in the tank for reserve. OR.......on the rig???? Might need another larger tank. I'd love to have one of the chromed twin's version....anyone?

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 11/20/22 1:38 pm.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Gordon non-ethanol is $4.79 a gallon here in Gasolovakia

1972 Triumph T120
1968 BSA A65
1968 MGB Roadster
1979 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta
1969 Honda Mini Trail
2004 Honda Shadow Aero
1949 Ferguson TE20 tractor
1975 yamaha xs650b
1971 SL 175 Honda project
2 olive drab WWII military bicycle replicas
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Originally Posted by raf940
Gordon non-ethanol is $4.79 a gallon here in Gasolovakia

It's pretty much the same here. That fill up was 93 ethanol. The tank will be drained and that fuel used in the lawn tractor, chainsaws, backpack blower and other garden/yard gas powered tools....or the Honda RS.....they're about the same.

They've got to calling the non-ethanol "race fuel" around here........I guess because they have the NASCAR track (North Wilkesboro) back open and "race" sounds cool......runs around $5 a gallon. I try to use non as much as I can in the bikes but if you're far enough from home it can't be helped sometimes.

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 11/20/22 1:17 pm.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com