Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade your membership to Premium Membership or Gold Membership or even Benefactor

New Sponsor post
Triumph 650/750 High-Output Alternator Kit
by The Bonneville Shop - 01/13/23 11:29 pm
New FAQ post
Missing edit button
by wrench136 - 05/30/22 2:57 pm
News & Announcements
Premium members! 🌟
by Morgan aka admin - 01/31/23 2:14 pm
Buy BritBike staff a coffee ☕️ or pint 🍺
by Morgan aka admin - 01/15/23 9:29 am
Benefactor ✅
by Morgan aka admin - 01/08/23 8:38 pm
Gold members! ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
by Morgan aka admin - 01/03/23 6:30 pm
How to guides - Technical articles
British Fasteners Specs
by Morgan aka admin - 01/03/23 1:29 pm
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Member Spotlight
Morgan aka admin
Morgan aka admin
Sävedalen, Sweden
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 77
DavidP 74
Allan G 47
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kev. 36
Newest Members
BSA A65 rebuild, Dan Haggard, Padsdad, sam keller, Raz
12,386 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,525
Posts783,977
Members12,386
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Random Gallery photo
Photo posting tutorial

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
ScottM7 Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
My 72 Tiger grinds going into 1st gear when it is cold though it's somewhat better once it's warmed up . I lowered the idle to 1000 - 1100 rpm and it helped a bit . I then thought i would adjust the push rod to 1/2 turn back in lieu of 1 full turn to see if that would help, so i removed the cable from the lever but as i " unscrew the hexagonal lock nut " I find the adjusting screw in the center turns with it and i feel and hear a drag the like plates are turning . The original workshop manual that came with the bike says " Unscrew the hexagonal lock nut and screw in the slotted adjuster screw ..... " . Obviously that is not working . Can i assume the fault lies with the pressure plate and or the springs?
Thanks!

66 Spitfire MKII
72 TR6R
07 F800ST BMW
Triumphs on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Gidday Scott,

I have a 72 TR6R as well. Lovely bikes.

It is not unusual for Triumphs to crunch into first gear when cold. Accept it as normal but try and reduce it.

There is a sequence to observe when adjusting clutches. You need to slacken the cable first so there is no load on the pushrod. Then undo the locknut in the primary. It is normal for the push rod adjusting screw to turn with the locknut.

I’d remove both, clean the threads between lock nut and adjuster screw and refit. I aim for 3/4 turn off the point where the pressure begins. Each bike is different.

You need a system where you can hold the adjuster screw in place with a screwdriver, while locking the lock nut. I have an offset ring spanner but have also used a tube socket with a hex end and a screwdriver down the centre.

Once you have a setting at the primary end, go back to the cable adjusters and allow a slack cable at rest with a decent lift when the lever is pulled.

'51 C11 in a '54 C10L frame. Back on the road...
'70 Triumph Trophy 500. Next on the bench for a refresh!
'72 Triumph Tiger 650. Back on the road...
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The usual recommendation is 1/2 turn back out, after the adjuster pin has made contact with the pushrod. If you can feel precisely when the pin makes contact, only a fraction of a turn back out will do. When the engine warms up the clearance becomes greater, so as long as there is any clearance, it will be fine, and the lesser the clearance when cold, the more clutch pressure plate lift you'll get.

If anything other than a blank space is visible here, something's wrong.
ScottM7 Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Very helpful. I'll give it a go. Thanks Ginge & Tigernuts!

66 Spitfire MKII
72 TR6R
07 F800ST BMW
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
One thing to remember, as the plates wear the pressure plate moves toward the pushrod. If you set the clearance really close you will have to adjust the screw more often.

Britbike forum member
Online Happy
Britbike forum member
Like Healy says, "That grind into first has a Triumph part number".

1968 T120R
1972 T120RV
Any advice given is without a warranty expressed or implied.
2 members like this: Vincent Esposito, kevin
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I sometimes can't feel when the pin makes contact with the rod. I often remove the cover on the other side to feel when the arm starts moving.
It's still a matter of finding something to tighten the lock nut while you hold the pin in place. I usually end up using a socket held with vicegrips with a screwdriver inserted through the hole in the socket. Back off the screw a bit and tighten the lock nut.
Free the clutch before starting and no crunch.

"Gosh, it's not a 1/4 20, must be metric."

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi DavidP, Holding the socket with vice grips is good idea & works good. I used vice grips or even just regular pliers for years to snug nut while counter holding screw. Then I'd verfiy/final tighten with socket. At that point any turning of screw with nut was negligible.

Facom tools makes a 9/16 angled hollow end wrench which is perfect for our use. I've never seen them sold anywhere but on line. Seems sellers are currently out of stock??

Facom FF-75.9/16 Angled Pass Thru Socket wrench 9/16".

I bought one a few years ago. They work great. About $30-35 with shipping in USA.

Here's a video with one in use.

Don

1973 Tiger 750
Britbike forum member
Online Happy
Britbike forum member
I always pull the primary cover to adjust the clutch.
I don't like working on things I can't see.
It gives you a chance to check all the other stuff inside and clean out the goo.
I use a dial indicator to check for the first lift of the pressure plate.

1968 T120R
1972 T120RV
Any advice given is without a warranty expressed or implied.
1 member likes this: kevin

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2023 britbike.com