Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade your membership to Premium Membership or Gold Membership or even Benefactor

New Sponsor post
10% Off Girling at The Bonneville Shop 2/3-2/9/23
by The Bonneville Shop - 02/03/23 6:14 pm
New FAQ post
News & Announcements
Premium members! 🌟
by Morgan aka admin - 02/04/23 2:40 pm
Buy BritBike staff a coffee ☕️ or pint 🍺
by Morgan aka admin - 01/15/23 9:29 am
Benefactor ✅
by Morgan aka admin - 01/08/23 8:38 pm
How to guides - Technical articles
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Member Spotlight
Denis J
Denis J
Sacramento, CA
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 84
DavidP 83
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kev. 34
DavidP 27
Newest Members
Uneasy Rider, Mally, Daveed, 70Triumph, Knight57Corv
12,392 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,551
Posts784,416
Members12,392
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Random Gallery photo
Photo posting tutorial

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
reverb Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hello; I stumbled upon 2 videos of engines assembly. One is an small factory with persons instead of robots in the lines; working with small 70cc engines (bikes); the other is the modern BMW plant, with many robots and not so many persons in the assembly lines working on big and racing engines.
In both cases the assembly is done with oil; not with assembly lube and not "dry"
In the case of the 70cc the guy put oil on top of the piston (and rings) and then put over the cylinder- With the BMW he uses oil on the jugs of a 1000RR then insert the rod with the pistons and rings...The video mentions that they use the same oil as the engine will have due to homogeneity
I understand that with these modern engines the honing is done with finer grits and the rings may be are chromed, but for sure are not like the old Brits with iron rings; however, may be the small 70cc use iron rings; I do not know but both engines have different goals and both have oil on the jugs...

-By the way; no threads locker in the rods bolts with the 1000RR or the 70cc in the other factory. No stretch gauges for the rods bolts too.

British motorcycles on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
In your shop the engine will be started & run the instant you have finished
For a production line engine that might sit for anything up to 2 years before it gets run enough to fully lube the engine thus ruest prevention is the no 1 priority
Horses for courses not right or wrong
Most small engines ( ie mowers & the like ) are started on the end of the production line with no oil, just the lube used during assembly.
Engine is powered by a gas mix fed into the carb throat.
Fires and runs for a dew seconds then it is crate it up & ship.
Does not fire & it is off to mechanical rectification
Would not recommend doing this either

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I can't say about the small engine, but modern BMWs use chrome rings and nikasil lined cylinders. They take forever to break in anyway.
As I understand it, modern oils are too good to break in old iron rings in iron cylinder liners, they don't allow enough contact between the rings and the cylinder wall.
Feel free to use as much oil as you wish, just use cheap, non-detergent oil on the rings.

"Gosh, it's not a 1/4 20, must be metric."

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"

Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Was happily ignorant on the dry assembly topic for years. Never have had a problem with oil and will continue. Starting with my 1st Briggs&Stratton go cart. To each his own I guess. 🥴

Last edited by KC in S.B.; 11/11/22 2:14 pm.

Down to ‘69 T120R now a Tr6R tribute bike
‘70 TR6C “happy in the hills”
‘67 A65LA (now single carb)
‘93 K1100RS heavy metal (should be gone, still here…)
DOPE
Online Confused
DOPE
i start up a fresh build with four (4) drops of oil, one on each piston skirt.

is that dry?

theres more than one way to skin a cat

knuckle head
knuckle head
Far as I am told by those who work on modern engines, top rings may be chrome plated...But not on grey cast iron...Ring material is steel or nodular iron and might be nitrided...
I use minimal oil like Kevin...may a few drops more, lol

61 hot rod A10, 89 Honda 650NT .On a bike you can out run the demons
"I don't know what the world may need
But a V8 engine is a good start for me
Think I'll drive to find a place, to be surly"
DOPE
Online Confused
DOPE
its a technique i read about years ago in a motorcycle magazine.

my machines make good compression, and i dont have scuffing issues. but that was long ago and maybe metallurgy is different now. i would tend to do what the piston and ring mamufacturer says to do witheir stuff.

this was also from the time when we were all told to scotchbrite the top coats off our rod bearings, and that was crazy

reverb Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Well, in the other side of that many years ago I assembled my 500cc with oil on the pistons and rings and never smoked. I used iron car rings. Made in UK I think.
Of course, many things that appeared in the USA hot rod magazines etc seem good for the builder but the factories (Euro and Japan ones) seem to go on other directions
Regarding the rod bearings is accepted or was accepted that you can sand it or polish a bit (only in the part where you perceive a shadow mark on the new bearing of course; after you torque the bolts but the rod is not spin freely) with steel wool (thinner than a 2500 grit sandpaper) then polish paste to seat properly the rod on the crank.

Moderated by  Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2023 britbike.com