Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade to Premium membership HERE! Premium Membership

New Sponsor post
15% Off Black Friday Sale
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/24/22 5:51 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
Dave Martin
Dave Martin
Antigua
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
kevin 56
Mark Z 51
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Bry 25
Newest Members
Doug McLaren, Randy Maui, T Lucas, Sloperjack, Manifold
12,329 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 members (gunner, R Moulding, Ginge), 20 guests, and 36 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,664
Posts782,704
Members12,329
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hi folks -

I bought a set of RIken Rings for my 1967 BSA A65 from a reputable dealer. I can discern no difference in appearance between what would be the top two rings.

The rings are marked with an R - I assume that's the top?

BTW - the reason for the oil burning in my bike was a stuck oil ring. I took the cylinders to the local machine shop and they specced the bore as nicely Concentric, and well within the original specs.

One of the valve stems had a slightly mushroomed top, so I decided to get all new valves. And well, if you get new valves, you might as well get new springs.

And in a fit of "screw it" I bought a Bob Newby clutch kit.

rings.jpg
1 member likes this: Allan G
BSA on eBay
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Confirmed from the vendor R faces up, and rings one and two are identical in this case.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Many compression rings are identical for first and second rings. modern piston designs tend to use different ring thicknesses, thinnest usually at the top, often one of those rings are chromed too though it isn't always the top one.

You won't be upset with the BNR clutch, but be prepared to go a tooth less on the gearbox sprocket as the primary ratio is taller by the equivalent of 1 tooth more on the final drive.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Ugh -I am already at a 21 tooth front sprocket and had to source a 107 link chain to fit properly - 21/47 - so I'd have to go to a 19, I guess, since a 20 was supposed to be stock.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Good point Allan. I recently fitted the BNR to my streetbike. I find the 19 to be very comfy on the highway and still snappy at lower speeds however if I was commuting or taking longer rides on interstates maybe the 20 would be better. The 21 would rob too much character from the old girl. Chains can be adjusted to suit the job. Cheers, PRT

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Thanks for the input - I have spare chains as a result of the trial and error arriving at the 107 link requirement, so I'm good there.

Time to go out to the garage and work on the bike!

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by pushrod tom
Good point Allan. I recently fitted the BNR to my streetbike. I find the 19 to be very comfy on the highway and still snappy at lower speeds however if I was commuting or taking longer rides on interstates maybe the 20 would be better. The 21 would rob too much character from the old girl. Chains can be adjusted to suit the job. Cheers, PRT

I still have the 19:42 (close equivalent to 21:47), It works ok, but the motor has to be in top condition and it means some clutch slippage at slow speeds. But when its rolling it will pull! The cylinder head has started weeping on the left side so it needs to come off, its enough with that gearing to knock the power back quite a bit and the top speed.

I have a selection of speckets which I can fit, but will ultimately go smaller. I did run 19:47 with the BNR at one point (to an international rally) It did seem a little undergeared on the motorway (freeway) till I got used to it, but it went well enough and covered over 1000 miles that week. I changed back up as the clutch gripped that well that I unintentionally lifted the front end a few times - my pillion wasn't impressed. laugh

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com